29. "can we talk?"

It was super nice and warm outside, like any other June summer day. The sun shining through the green leaves. Truly wonderful. I was wearing a plain white tee with my go-to messy bun on and jean shorts. Thankfully we had air conditioning inside because, on my walk to the camp, I nearly melted like a popsicle.

My absolute favorite part about volunteering at the camp was nap time. Not for me, of course, but for the kids. They all just looked so cute and peaceful when they were sleeping and not terrorizing me and the camp counselors.

Eventually, the kids woke up and the peaceful, quiet spell was broken with their high pitched squeals. I didn't really have to do much while the counselors lead the arts and crafts, so I just sat and cut shapes with the munchkins and congratulated them on their mini snowflake cutouts.

They didn't look much like snowflakes though, but I was still enthusiastic and encouraging them anyways.

Halfway through the day, my phone's incessant buzzing starting distracting me so I stepped out of the room for a second, to check.

Sawyer
Babe

Sawyer
Hollyyy

Sawyer
Holls

Holly
Yess? I'm still at the camp

Sawyer
I haven't seen you in 2 days I'm dying over here. Please come over tonight

I giggled to myself while I looked at his texts followed by a string of emojis. I saw the counselors were waving at me, trying to get my attention so I quickly responded to his messages.

Holly
Okay okay, I'll come over tonight!

Sawyer
Promise? I miss you

Holly
I promise :)

I couldn't help but smile to myself. Who knew college boys could be so clingy. I loved it though, all the attention.

~

Cam came to visit on my break and brought coffee, which really made my day. I don't think I've gone a day without at least one cup of coffee since I was 13. Waking up early is just not for me.

We sat on the benches outside, under a shady tree, during 'play time' and watched the little ones run around.

A tiny boy by the name of Andrew ran by, startling us, with his loud high pitched scream. "Gosh, how do you do this?" Cam exclaimed as she nearly spilled her coffee and I just laughed. Camille didn't really do so well with kids. She once stuck out her hand in front of a baby for it to sniff, so it wouldn't bite her.

"I like that one, she's got this attitude" Cam points at the little girl playing in the sandbox alone.

"Oh my gosh, Fiona? She's such a little queen" I completely agree with her. She's my favorite out of all of them because she's so independent and she always listens. She also turns down all the boys when they try to play with her which I find adorable.

"She's gonna do great things when she grows up" I say.

"She's gonna grow up to become a Georgia" Cam mutters and sips her coffee.

I snort. "Hopefully not, we don't need any more of those".

"So, how have you been?" I ask. She seems well. I mean she keeps texting me about this new boy she's seeing but I feel like she might get bored of him and move on to another one pretty soon. That's what I love about her though. She knows her self-worth and she never settles for anything less than what she deserves.

"Pretty great. I'm saving up for a car" she says.

"With what job?" I giggle.

"I haven't figured that out yet".

"Well let me know when you do" I say and take another sip.

After a short moment of peaceful silence, a thought popped into my head.

"You know what's crazy?".

"Hmm?" she looks at me.

"So you know how I can't fall asleep without a small crack in my door?" I ask and she just nods.

"Since Sawyers been sleeping over, I've had to learn to shut the door at night. So I think I finally conquered my fear of the dark"

"Wow, I'm proud of you. Great influence this boy has made on you" she smirks. I just smile pleasantly thinking about how happy he makes me.

"I'm glad you have him in your life, Holly. Hold on to this one" she rubs my arm gently.

"Thanks".

~

Bringing the kids inside was such a hassle. Apparently someone scraped their knee, these two troublemakers got in a fight again, and some other kid was crying because he lost his toy truck, so it was such a struggle.

It was way too hectic at camp so I was just waiting to get through the day and come home to Sawyer.

5:00pm finally arrived and we were all waiting around for all the children to get picked up by their parents. The two other counsellors, Jenna and Troy were waving goodbye to the little ones at the door, while I was sitting on one of the colourful chairs.

"Daddy!" A little girl ran into her fathers arms with joy. "Hey sweetie! How was camp?".

I was just watching and admiring the pure joy on her face and how her father talked to his little girl. It also reminded me of my dad and how much I miss him.

"Bye Holly!" Fiona waved her tiny little hand. "Bye Fiona!".

She's so precious, it warmed my heart.

Eventually the crowd of kids died down so I began tidying up the place and the other two counsellors came up to me.

"Okay, I'll make this short. We've got another volunteer, so we will need to re-adjust the tasks to accommodate him" Jenna said.

The front door swings open again. "Oh and here he is now".

I turn around and see, amongst the dissolving crowd of children, there he was. My eyes widen so much, as I realize it's the face I never thought I'd see again.

Sebastian.

I haven't seen him in 3 years, why is he here? What the fuck.

I don't even know what to say.

"Alright so, Holly will show you the ropes and we will go over everything tomorrow at 7. All clear?" Jenna explained in her usual tired voice.

"Yes" he politely nodded. "Fantastic, don't worry about it. You'll be great. Okay, you guys are free to go".

I say nothing. Just rush to grab my bag and get the hell out of here.

"Hey wait, Holly!" He runs up behind me. There was no where to run, the place was now empty and it was just him and I.

"Can we talk?".

"I don't think that's a good idea" I back away.

"Please? I really wanted to apologize".

"So that's why you're here?".

"Well no, I was looking for a place to volunteer but when they told me you worked here I thought it would be the perfect opportunity".

"For what?".

"I've been thinking a lot lately about the mistakes I've made in the past and I hate the way things ended between us".

Oh I don't like where this is going.

"What are you saying?".

"I made a huge mistake. I miss you".

Next update: March 18
<3