34. "be happy for me"

"Michael and Aurora, you have come here today of your own free will and in the presence of family and friends, have declared your love and commitment to each other. You have given and received a ring as a symbol of your promises. By the power of your love and commitment to each other, and by the power vested in me, I now pronounce you husband and wife. You may now share your first kiss as husband and wife. Congratulations. Friends and family, I now present to you the newly married couple."

I am suddenly jolted out of my sleep and my eyes try to squint to focus on my surroundings. My vision is fuzzy and my chest is pounding. I take myself out of my head and back to Sawyer's apartment, in his bed. He wakes up immediately, noticing my distress.

He gently pulls my arm, signaling me to lay down in the safety of his arms. His soothing hands calm me down as I cuddle into his comforting arms. His hands run through my hair as he whispers in my ear and I start to feel serene.

His hands drag along the curve of my body. On my waist, then down to my hips. Finally landing on my shoulders. He placed soft warm kisses on my neck as I close my eyes again.

Ironically it happened to be raining on this early morning, so we laid there, silent, watching the raindrops run, following the path of least resistance, on the glass. With his body against mine I felt something I never felt before. I can't describe it, it's just overpowering. Like every nerve in my body is telling me that I belong with him. I never want any of this to end.

Though I was awake, I was still living my worst nightmare. My mom is dating Sawyer's dad.

"What are we going to do?" I ask quietly, tears slowly forming in my eyes. Suddenly I felt a giant ball of anger form in my stomach and I couldn't control it. My breathing became very heavy again.

"Why is there always something standing in the way for us? First, it was my brother, now this. Maybe the universe is trying to tell us something."

"We don't know anything yet. You should wait until you go home and talk to your mom." His voice is patient and assuring.

"I don't want to." I pout.

"I know you don't but she loves you and she's still your mom. You're going to have to come home eventually."

Why does he always have to be right?

~

The car ride back was short since there were barely any cars on the road. The rain got really heavy and I had to run to my front door, though my white converse still got soaked. As soon as I opened the front door I was greeted frantically by mom who was sitting in the kitchen with Ryan. It seemed like they were just talking about me over tea, how cute.

"How long?" I ask, not even giving them a chance to speak. I ran out last night with Sawyer and I'm sure mom wasn't happy with me at all, but I didn't care.

"How long what?" She asks innocently.

"How long have you guys been seeing each other?"

"5 months now." She admits after a deep exhale.

My mouth opened to yell but I just kept silent. Nothing came out of my mouth and I didn't know what to say. My head was spinning as millions of thoughts circle around my mind.

"And were you ever gonna tell me?" I spoke furiously.

"Yes, Holly I swear we were planning on telling you properly. I didn't know it was Sawyer's father, he told me he had a son but he never said his name."