Chapter 4

The next day Joe sends me for more items at the market before he leaves for work. I shower after he's left, slowly soaking soaking my aching body under the steaming water. I keep the shower short, as not to raise the water bill. I dry off and get dressed.

Even though the weather was humid today, I dress as to cover as much of my bruised body as possible. When I get to the market I look at the list I've wrote, making sure to get exactly what I needed.

While I'm waiting as the lady rings up my items I glance out the window. I make direct eye contact with the boy I ran into yesterday. Was he following me?! I grab my bags and walk out the door. He turns and walks to meet me there.

"Hello ma'am." He says warmly.

"Me name's George." He extends his hand.

"Kara." I mumble, careful not to touch him in case, for some reason, Joe were watching. He lets his hand drop and matches his stride with mine as I try to hurry home to fix a meal.

"Where you from, pretty bird?" He asked, trying to make chatter. I stay quiet, wishing for his own sake that he'd leave me alone.

"Not much of a talker? Alright then, I can do silence." He shoves his hands into his pockets.

"Please leave me be." I say.

"I just want to make sure a pretty girl like you gets home safely, is that alright?" He says. I muster up what little strength you have.

"No. It's not. Please, for your own good, for MY own good, let me alone." I turn and run off, praying he doesn't follow me.