Chapter 78

George's POV

Everyone has come over to my house as a sort of post service gathering.

Allison is off playing with all the kids. I'm so happy to see her finally on her own, however, I miss her constant presence by my side. It was a sort of safe feeling knowing she was always there.

Someone turned the news on and we watch as Kara and I are headlined. I knew this would happen. The volume is muted so we just watch the news people's mouths move. Pictures of Kara, pictures of Kara and I, pictures of the whole family show up on the screen, as well as photos and videos of me and Allison today. I turn away from it all, sick to my stomach.

I excuse myself to go upstairs and change out of my suit. It's one that hasn't been worn in years and I find uncomfortable.

I walk slowly up the stairs.

When I open the door to our room, I am washed over with grief yet again.

I sit on the edge of the bed and rest my head in my hands, elbows on my knees. I sit like that for a long while.

Finally I get up. I loosen my tie and walk to the closet. I stop halfway because I've spotted Kara's perfume in the corner of my eye. It's resting on her vanity table. Such a simple thing. I start to cry as I walk over to it. I spray the perfume in the air and close my eyes as I inhale the sweet scent I've come to associate with Kara. I sit in the chair and stare at myself in the mirror.

I look like shit.

My hair all rumpled, clothes wrinkled, eyes red and puffy.

I run my fingers over Kara's make up containers and other things she left strewn about. I get up and lay on her side of the bed. I close my eyes as I smell her all over the pillows and sheets. Eventually, I turn over and lay on my side, looking at the picture frame on her nightstand. The picture inside is of the three of us. I run my fingers over Kara's face in the photo.

I get up and resume my walk to the closet. I change out of the suit and put on jeans and a sweater that Kara had once bought me.

I go back to our bed and fix the sheets, pulling them tight. I pull too hard and the mattress shifts out of place.

"Dammit." I huff under my breath.

I walk around to my side and shift it back in place. That's when I look down and see the book Kara gave me for our anniversary. I reach and grab it, sitting in the floor as I thumb through the pages.

Tears fall as I look at page after page of Kara's beautiful face, knowing how much love and hard work she put into making the book.

I reach the last page and find an envelop wedged in the crack between the pages.

I lift it.

'George'

A simple word.

My name.

Written in Kara's handwriting.

I take three deep breaths before sliding my finger across, opening the envelope. I find a folded piece of paper inside. I take it out and unfold it. I stare at Kara's elegant writing.

What is this?

How long as this been here?

I focus my eyes and begin to read.