Chapter 57

Kara's POV

Joe had gone out to pick up food for dinner. I was standing at the window, watching birds flying around when I felt something trickle down my leg. I looked down.

Oh shit.

I move quickly out the front door and knock fiercely on the neighbor's front door.

A kind looking old lady answers.

"Well hello dear." She said with a warm smile.

"Hi. Um my water just broke and I need to get to the hospital. Please can you take me?" I say rushed.

"Oh of course dear!" She moves to grab the phone and dials the ambulance.

She waves me in and shuts the door behind me.

I wait in the front hallway, uncomfortable.

Just as she hangs up the phone, I get my first contraction. It's painful and I squeeze my eyes.

"Come here." She says, leading me to a comfy couch.

She disappears and returns with a cup of water for me.

I thank her.

"Where's your husband dear?" She asked.

"I don't know." I say as tears fall.

"Oh sweetie don't cry. Didn't he just leave but a short while ago? He can't be far." She said.

I look at her, confused.

"I saw you with him the other day and I see right now this lovely ring on your finger. I actually didn't know he was that rich to afford that ring." She says.

My vision blurs as I shake my head.

"No no no. That man kidnapped me. He's a crazed ex boyfriend. I'm Kara. Mrs. Kara Harrison. I'm married to George Harrison, the Beatle?"

Her face shows horror.

"Oh Lord. Honey I hadn't any idea!"

Just then the EMTs knock on the door and the old lady answers it. They come in and sit around me. They stick some IVs in me and put me in a wheelchair and then take me out to the waiting ambulance.

Luckily Joe is still not returned.

The old lady tells the EMTs she's my mother so that she can ride with me to the hospital. Even though I had just met her I was grateful she did that.

She used the ambulance telephone on our drive. We were only about ten minutes from the hospital so I wasn't sure why she needed to phone someone, much less who she needed to call.

The contractions were closer together and more painful each time.

Everything starts to get fuzzy suddenly. One of the EMT guys talks to me but his words all blur together. I can't make out what he's saying.

The ambulance stops in front of the hospital and the EMTs jump out and rush me inside.

I am able to make out a few words.

"Ruptured vessel."

"Major blood loss."

"Emergency Room NOW!"

That's when everything went dark.