Chapter 38

Kara's POV

I couldn't believe it. After all this time. After all these years. Here he was. Standing right in front of me.

"Hey Kara, who was at the do-" Cyn comes out from the back patio but stops when she sees me, hand still on the doorknob.

I turn to her, eyes wide. She takes my hint and walks forward to my side.

"Hello, sir. May I help you?" She asked.

He stuck out his meaty hand.

"Name's Jeff." He says gruffly.

Cyn holds out her dainty hand and grasps his.

"Cynthia. Nice to meet you."

An awkward silence fell over the three of us. I still couldn't take my eyes off him.

"So." Cynthia says.

"What can we do for you." She's trying to keep things moving and I appreciate it.

"I wanted to see my daughter." He said.

Cyn gasps quietly.

"Excuse me?" She says, turning from him to me.

"Yeah." I say.

Cyn places a hand on my back and gently pushes me out of the way.

"Well! Please come in!" She says to my dad.

He smiles and steps in. His grummy, disgusting, big, dirty shoes all over the nice, clean floor. He follows Cyn's directions and walks into the gathering room. Cynthia turns to me as soon as he's out of sight.

"I didn't know he was coming. I don't know how he found me. I don't know what he's doing..." I mutter.

Cyn wraps me up in a hug, wishing me the best. I take a deep breath then walk in to face my father.

"What are you doing here." I say more than ask.

He turns to me and awkwardly hugs me. I leave my arms dangling at my sides. I push him back.

"How are you doing?" He asks, totally ignoring my question.

"How did you find me." I insist.

"So things have been going well I see."

"Answer my fucking question." I say coldly.

After twelve years of isolation and abandonment, I've become pretty angry.

"Well I saw your face in the paper and I just had to find my girl." He said.

My gag reflexes started up.

"How did you find me." I repeat, annoyed.

"A map, a few euros and some really friendly people." He says so nonchalantly.

I shake my head.

"I could have you arrested for being here right now you know."

"I just wanted to talk is all!" He says as if he's a fucking saint.

I cross my arms.

"Talk then."

"Can't we go for a stroll? Remember when we used to do that, duckie?"

"Don't ever call me that." I say sternly.

"Ah come on sweetie. Let's go for some fresh air."

"Stop it. Stop it right now!" I start to get upset.