Chapter 39

George's POV

Cyn telephoned to tell me that Kara's father had shown up. I hung the phone and jumped into the car before Cyn said another word. I got to the house as fast as I could.

When I saw her standing there, looking defeated, I just broke down inside. But I needed to be strong for her. She's my woman and I must protect her from anything she is afraid of. When she told him to go I almost smiled. I was so proud of her just then. We stood in the front hall for hours as I held her while she cried. I wasn't bothered by her tears on my jacket. If she's going to cry on anyone's shoulder, it's going to be mine.

When she finally pulls away, I look down and wipe her cheek. She smiles meekly and I smile back. I put my fingers under her chin and lift up her face, meeting our lips together at the middle. When we pull apart, I pull her in for another hug. We twist slowly side to side. That sudden appearance must have scared her badly. She mumbles something into my shirt.

"What?" I pull back, looking at her.

She stares at the buttons on my shirt.

"He wanted money." She said quietly, fingering one of the buttons.

Anger boils up inside. I walk away from Kara and grab a phone. She follows me into the study. I stay quiet as it rings until the other line picks up.

"Police department. How may I help you?" The voice said.

I cleared my throat.

"Yes, hi. I'd like to report a disturbance."

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Kara's POV

It's been three days since my father showed up at George's. George had insisted upon police security at the house and a restraining order against my father.

I sit on the back porch swing as I look out. It's a cold day but I don't feel anything. My body is completely numb. I don't feel the frost bite my cheeks. One foot is curled up to my chest, the other on the ground, pushing the swing back and forth. I can't believe my father would find that at all appropriate. Twelve years I went without him, without any family member.

Now that I'm with a man who has more than enough financial means to support the two of us, my father suddenly wants to be my best friend??

I hear the door creak open but I can't focus. George's figure blurs across my vision. I feel the weight around my shoulders as George covers them with blankets.

"Hey." I hear him say.

"I called in some reinforcements for you sweetie." He kneels in front of me, placing his hands on my own knees.

He reaches up and brushes a strand of unwashed hair behind my ears.

"Hello darlin." A friendly woman's voice comes from my left.

I continue to stare absently out in front of me.

"Oh my. I've got my work cut out for me." The woman's voice says.

"Kara bear? This is my mum, Lauren. She's come to help get you all fixed up. We're supposed to be getting married next week, remember?" George says.

"As long as you still want." He adds as an afterthought.

I pull my eyes into focus at George.

"Why wouldn't I want?" I mumble.

"Well honey, you haven't exactly been yourself the past couple of days. It's nearly freezing out and you're sitting here in shorts and a t-shirt. I haven't seen you eat a single thing. You're not yourself, baby. I can't fix that and it's killing me. I called in the only woman I know can remedy what I can't." George says.

I turn and look at George's mother. The resemblance between them is striking. She's beautiful and wears a warm, loving face as she smiles at me. She reaches out her hand.

"Come dear."

I continue to stare at her as I reach and grab her hand.

"See? Already you've helped her." George says to his mother.

She smiles.

"Go on. I'll have her better in no time." She says to George.

She turns back to me.

"Now let's go run you a nice, hot bath. Miss Judy has mixed up some soup for you." Lauren pulls me inside and leads the way upstairs.

I start to warm back to reality as I soak in the hot water. Lauren spoon feeds me Miss Judy's soup. It's not long before Lauren has got us rolling in a conversation. We talk about light subjects. I am wrapped in a big fuzzy robe when I am finished in the bath. After a bit, Jill walks in holding a black dress bag.

"I had some troubles getting this thing past George." She said, shutting the door.

She hangs the hanger on the frame above the door and unzips the bag.

"It was mine." Lauren says.

"I want you to have it."

Jill takes off the bag and I gasp. I slip off the robe as Lauren and Jill help me into my wedding dress.