Chapter 43

Kara's POV

About an hour after Miss Judy phones George's mother, there's a knock at the door. Miss Judy gets up and answers it, revealing Lauren on the other side. Lauren and Miss Judy exchange quick hellos. Miss Judy points to me. Lauren quickly crosses the space between us and kneels. I didn't realize how badly I wanted to see her until she was right in front of me. I cry and she wraps me up in a warm embrace. She strokes my back and slowly rocks me back and forth until I calm down.

When I finish crying, she asks Miss Judy to make some tea. She turns and picks me up. For a woman her petite size, she's certainly a lot stronger than she looks. She carries me upstairs and draws a bath. She scrubs me with soap and massages my head with shampoo. Once I'm bathed, she dresses me in an outfit very opposite of how I'm feeling - a warm yellow sweater and white slacks. She fixes up my hair and adds a touch of make up.

"You need some color." She says as she brushes light pink blush onto my pale cheeks.

When she's finished, she sits me on the edge of the bed.

"You're not the first woman to experience this." She starts.

"Miscarriages are very common. I know this may seem like a terrible terrible thing and it is, don't get me wrong. It is. But. God did not intend for you to have that child. What God wants is for you to pick yourself up, sugar. He did not intend that child to be birthed. And since that is what He planned, we must follow it. Another child will come. I'm sure of it. We just must respect God's plan." She rests a hand on my leg.

"You must smile, sugar. You're a beautiful woman who shouldn't be so sad." She smiled at me.

I gave a small smile, the first in nearly a week.

"There we go." She say, stroking my cheek.

My smile falls as I realize something.

"George doesn't know." I whisper.

Lauren pats my leg.

"You just leave that up to me. Now. Let's go get some tea and then we're going out. You and I are going to shop for some things around the house. Something to help get your mind off this."

We stand and go downstairs. We drink our tea quietly. When we are finished, we get into Lauren's car and drive to a local greenhouse.

"I figure you may like some flowers." She offers, putting the car in park.

I get out of the car and walk into the greenhouse. I stop and look around at all the bright colors. I grab a pot of lilies and bring them up to my face. I close my eyes as I inhale their heavenly scent, feeling better already.