Chapter 72

*2 Months Later*

George's POV

I hold the soup carefully as I carry it up the stairs. I walk to my room and open the door. I smile as Kara tries to sit up.

"Wait wait wait." I instruct.

I quickly set the soup on the dresser and go over to her. I adjust the pillows behind her so that she can sit up properly. I go back to the dresser and get the soup. I scoot a chair to the bedside. I take a spoonful of the soup and blow on it to cool it down. I bring the spoon to her eager lips. She sips it and waits patiently for the next spoonful.

Kara's really declined quickly. Her cancer has spread to her lymph nodes, spine, kidneys, and a little has begun to collect in her brain. She has been ordered to bed-rest by the family doctor. She can't eat without help, can't sit up, walk, bathe without help. She's also very pale - more than usual, and her hair is thinning. Although she'll never admit it, I know she's hurting. It's terribly tragic to have to watch my beautiful baby in so much pain.

Allison is at school right now. We sent her to the same place the Starrs sent Zak. Us two families usually take turns each day carpooling, but with Kara getting worse, Maureen put her foot down on them driving the kiddos every day.

Once Kara's finished the soup, I set the bowl down and pull out a book.

She doesn't talk much because it greatly pains her throat. I grab her hand and gently stroke it as I open the book. She loves when I read to her so I do that as much as I can. She smiles and leans back her head, closing her eyes as I pick up where I last left off.

I clear my throat.

"Chapter 7." I begin.