Chapter 27

Kara's POV

Jill helps zip up my dress back at George's home. He greeted us when we got back but has since disappeared into another part of the house to get dressed. Apparently he's taking me somewhere really nice. I sit in a chair while Jill quickly but efficiently does my hair and make up. She's curled my hair into loose ringlets and has done a sort of smokey eye over my eyelids. She covers my lips with a soft pink gloss that's sticky and tastes of strawberries.

While we were out getting shoes and jewelry, Jill had us stop and get manicures and pedicures.

"Great girl bonding experience!" She boasted when we were sitting in big chairs and a lady was rubbing lotion on my feet. I was a little uncomfortable at first but, just like George, Jill's personality has this ability to make me feel calm and safe. I was able to relax. Jill stayed quieted as I told her about some parts in my life. I chose to leave out certain details but I liked how she nodded and added "mhmm" in all the right places. She never looked away but her stare didn't upset me in any way. She truly listened to every word I said. I found myself starting to like this girl. I could easily see why George liked her so much.

I close my eyes as Jill sprays hairspray lightly over my wavy auburn locks. She helps me into my heels. We decided on three inch shiny black heels with straps criss-crossing from my toes up to my ankles. I stand and glance in the full length mirror.

"You're stunning." Jill breathes. My hands reach up to the necklace. A simple silver strand with a delicate teardrop diamond. Jill opens the door and yells to Miss Judy. A few moments later Miss Judy enters. Her jaw drops and she brings her hands to her chest. She starts walking towards me, smile breaking out on her face.

"Oh you beautiful girl!" She quickly wipes a tear from the corner of her eye.

"George is finished. He's downstairs waiting for you." She says. Her and I start to the door.

"Oh wait!" Jill calls. We turn. She moves me closer to her and sprays perfume in the air and pulls me through the mist. She smiles.

"Let us go first and then you get all the spotlight coming down by yourself." Jill said.

"Okay." I say. Miss Judy and Jill start out the door.

"Hey Jill?" I call.

"Yeah?"

"Thanks. For all of this." I say shyly.

"Oh Kara. I wouldn't have rather spent this day any other way. I had such a wonderful time and can't wait to have more girl days with you!" She ends with a smile. They walk out the door. I listen to them go down the stairs. I take a deep breath, count to twenty and then step out to the top stair.

George's POV

I've changed into a nice suit - a good one, not one I've worn to a show or in public. My back is to the staircase and I am talking with Jill when she looks behind me and clears her throat. I stop talking and turn.

My jaw immediately drops. I have no words as I watch Kara walk down the steps. She looks the most stunningly beautiful woman ever to grace this planet. When Kara makes her way to the bottom I close the gap between us. She smiles sheepishly and I still can't form words. So I tell her what I can in the only way I can at the moment. I lean down and kiss her long and slowly, savoring the strawberry taste of her lip gloss. When we pull apart, she blushes. She takes a step back and spins so I see the full view of her. I can finally form a word.

"Wow." I whisper. She smiles and I smile back. I offer her my arm and she takes it. Miss Judy opens the door and the two of them watch us walk down to the car - both of them smiling broadly. I open the door for Kara and let her get settled. I shut the door and walk around to the driver's side. I turn back to the front door and flash Jill and Miss Judy two thumbs up. They smile and give thumbs up back to me. I open the door and sit, turning on the car. I put the car into drive and grab Kara's hand, holding it tight all the way.