thirteen days and counting

ashton - tuesday

"So, Mikey, I heard you're always the one to ask for gossip about the Ding Dong Ditchers?" I turned to face the new girl at our table. She was twirling a piece of hair around her finger in an obvious attempt at flirting.

I heard Michael cough and wheeze before answering. "Yeah uh, sometimes. What do you want to know?" The way the girl was battering her eyelids at the him, she looked like she had something stuck in her eye. I would have probably laughed if we were in any other situation.

"Who was hit last night, no one's heard anything!" It came out as a whine that made Luke stab his fork into his pasta with unecessary force. I could feel my eyes widening as I looked between Dylan and Michael. We obviously all knew who had been hit but the question was were we going to tell anyone? We knew Dylan's note was different and whoever had been Ding Dong Ditched always showed their bell.

No one was answering her and I was starting to feel awkward. I could see that Stella was staring at Dylan, waiting for her reaction probably. Her head tilted as she looked down at something Dylan had dropped onto the table. It look slightly tattered, like she had thrown in.

"It was me, alright?" She glared at the girl but it didn't stop her asking stupid questions.

"But why is there no note? There is always a note! Trust me, I've talked to every single person that has been -"

"Holy fuck! I did something to get on the wrong side of them, my note is fucking different okay and I ripped it up so don't even bother asking to see it!" The anger in her voice made the girl shut up finally but she still looked suspicious. I backed up in my seat a little, a little scared of her. We had never seen her lose her temper this way.

The boys still hadn't spoken and Dylan focused her attention on Stella. "I'm sorry, Stel. Can we all speak... somewhere else, please?" She looked at both Luke and me, including us in the 'we all'. At first I was confused but then it dawned on me that she's getting close to working out what was going on.

"Dyl..." Dylan shut Stella up with a glare and, realising none of us had much of a choice, we all started getting up to follow her to the hallway. We were hanging slightly behind the two girls but none of us dared speak. All I did was shake my head, telling them not to say anything about it or act like they didn't care.

"Why the fuck would you get whatever idiots are the Ding Dong Ditchers to steal my fucking book!" She turned on us almost as soon as we were out in the hall. We all stopped short in shock and I was even more shocked by the way that Stella was just letting Dylan shout at us.

"We, uh, we didn't mean them to?" Luke shrugged. Thankfully, the disintrest I told them to have worked and we didn't seem to be under the spotlight long because this made her walk off. I had never seen her so mad and wanted to know why so stopped Stella before she could walk away.

"Why is she so angry?"

"That book is like therapy to her, she needs it." She was glaring at me now and I wondered why Dylan needed a book for therapy. Stella seemed to really care about Dylan and I was starting to feel horrible about the whole situation.

I turned back towards the boys, who were all staring after Stella.

"We can't see them for a while." Michael said with finality. I agreed that we should probably ditch school for a couple of days because it wasn't good for either of us to be near each other. Quickly, we made our way to my locker because I needed my gym clothes if we weren't going to be in school tomorrow.

Sitting on top of my bag was a familiar envelope I had seen only once before. The note in the last one simply said 'I know who you are' with a bell. We had never managed to find out who it was and, after a couple of months, we stopped worrying as it was obvious that whoever it was just didn't care anymore.

Luke saw it first out of the other boys and they frantically told me to open it.

The first thing I pulled out was a picture of Dylan and Stella talking to us at lunch yesterday. We were all leaned in and looked, honestly, like we were planning something. I knew it was in fact Dylan questioning us quietly so the others couldn't hear. Michael took the picture out of my hand so I took the only other piece of paper out of the envelope.

New partners in crime?

Well, it's only a matter of time.

I shouldn't have been so selfish at this moment and thought of us. It wasn't us that were being threatened.