C H A N G E O F P E R S P E C T I V E

❁ C H A P T E R  T W E L V E ❁

D a t e : 5/7/18

Connell's POV

My house is lonely.

Perhaps that is because it's always empty, but right now, it just looks like a sad, lonely place. Sometimes I think that it was always a sad house, because it doesn't look like it was ever light.

Taking my bag from my car, I slammed the door shut, and started walking to my front door. It was dark out, product of me going to the gym after school. Since I wasn't getting the same amount of exercise as I got from training, I had to supplement it somehow.

As I was fiddling with my keys, trying to find the right one, I glanced over at Ruby's house. It was painful, knowing that she wouldn't understand. Every time I see her face, I can feel the pain she's in. She won't ever understand, nor will my wolf, but it's for the best.

I can't sleep anymore. My nights are filled with tossing and turning, my restless wolf begging for me to come to my senses. Sometimes I almost listen to him, walking downstairs and stopping at the door.

Looking away from her house, I let out a tired sigh and opened my door, walking it. Jax met me at the door, panting happily. Putting down my duffle bag, I went to my knees, running my hands through his fluffy hair. I let him lick my face, before walking to my living room.

The floorplan was simple. When you walk in there are stairs straight in front of you, and a hallway going to the back of the house. To the left is the living room and a small office, and to the right is a kitchen and the dining room. It was a big house, too big for one person.

I took off my coat and shoes, letting out a sigh as I sat on my sofa. Jax jumped up next to me, curling up into my side.

We sat like that for a few minutes, before I decided to get up and get a beer. Jax just sat and watched as I stood, leaving my comfortable seat which I knew was going to be overtaken as soon as I left.

My kitchen had a lot of windows, which faced straight on to Ruby's house. Generally I close them, because it seemed like a strange invasion of privacy, but today they were open.

Her house was lit up like a firecracker. They had nice big windows, and you could see the light shine from all of them. Even the ones that had curtains, they were bright with the light behind them.

I pulled a beer from the fridge and cracked it opened as I looked at her house, curiosity taking me over.  Taking a big gulp of  my drink, I reached towards the window and closed the shutters tight, turning away.

Walking back to the couch, I sat down, patting Jax who was sleeping. Before I had a chance to settle down, my doorbell rang. It was one of those cheerful doorbells, so it went on for quite a while.

Normally I would just let it ring, but I decided to be hospitable. With a sigh, I stood, and made my way to the door. Opening it, I was taken aback by what I saw.

There, was Mrs. Delson, her face red and full of worry. Her son stood next to her, Zach, if I can remember correctly. He resembled his father, tall with light brown skin and curly hair.

When I looked down to his arms, I easily recognized Ruby, though her face was turned away. Her long hair was covering her face, but when it was removed she had a pained expression.

My stomach twisted in immediate fear over her being hurt, and I reached for her, taking her from Zach's arms. Though he was unwilling, he let me, and I cocooned Ruby against my chest. She let out a sigh of relief, and tried to get closer, much to my surprise.