the fools who dream

song used: the fools who dream by justin hurwitz and emma stone and say something by great big world

*****

I sat on the piano bench, playing random chords. I was alone in the music room. I kept playing, until I started to sing along, still unsure where this was going.

Here's to the ones who dream
Foolish as they may seem
Here's to the hearts that ache
Here's to the mess we make

I heard a small creak from the door. I decided not to look. Probably just the wind.

He captured a feeling
Sky with no ceiling
The sunset inside a frame
His blood filled of ichor
His smile a snicker
I'll always remember the flame

His beautiful brown eyes, rimmed with black, long lashes. His thin lips, half a smile always on his face. His pale skin glowing against his normal outfit, black, his hair styled into a quiff.

I've liked him for ages. But he always seemed to be a dream to me, something unreal.

Here's to the ones who dream
Foolish as they may seem
Here's to the hearts that ache
Here's to the mess we make

Zach Herron sat down next to me. Out of all of the people in the school, him.

He didn't say anything, just placed his hands on the piano and started to accompany me, adding new depth to the song. My heart wanted to burst as he accompanied me for the chorus. I couldn't stop the smile from spreading across my face. Though we barely had a few weeks of school left before college, I enjoyed it, time with him, something that I never really had.

He told me
"A bit of madness is key
To give us new colors to see
Who knows where it will lead us?
And that's why they need us"
So bring on the rebels
The ripples from pebbles
The painters, and poets, and plays

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw him smiling as I grew concentrated on the piano, playing louder as my voice grew stronger. His right hand slid from the piano and across my waist, causing me to jump at the unexpected touch. He didn't pull away.

And here's to the fools who dream
Crazy as they may seem
Here's to the hearts that break
Here's to the mess we make

"...ve you," he mumbled.

"What?" I asked, turning towards him and tucking a strand of hair behind my ear. I didn't really hear what he said.

His already pink cheeks flushed. "Did I say that out loud?"

"Yes?" I asked, confused.

"I'm sorry," he stammered out. "I- it just slipped out. I--"

"What did you even say?" I asked, even more confused.

"It's not important," he muttered, glancing at the door, his arm dropping from my waist.

I just nodded sadly. I played an arpeggio, my fingers hitting the last note.

"Say something, I'm giving up on you," I softly sang. "I'm sorry that I couldn't get to you."

Ah, fuck. The feels. I let my hands fall onto my lap. "Anywhere...I would've....followed you."

Suddenly, fingers played the next chord. I looked up to see Zach's hands in front of me, playing the black and white keys.

"Say something, I'm giving up on you," he sang quietly. He moved onto the next verse. "And I...will swallow my pride."

I noticed him gulp before he sang the next line. "You're the one that I love. Yet, I'm saying goodbye."

"When are you leaving?" I asked him, knowing that we were singing for ourselves. I knew he was going to a prestigious music school in California, I just didn't know when.

"I'm going this weekend," he mumbled. "Where are you going?"

"I'm going to Curtis Institute of Music in Philadelphia after graduation," I replied.

"We've could've had so much time," he muttered. "I'm such a coward."

"What are you talking about?"

"I--" He paused. "Don't you get it?"

"I," I took a deep breath. I wasn't sure how to word this, so I let it spill from my mouth. "I though that you didn't really mean it because I was always just that one girl in the background and we only talked when we had a project together and we're leaving for college soon and I'm so scared that it's just going to end up crashing onto me and--"

Zach stopped me by placing his hands over mine, entwining our fingers. "I love you, Fae."

"I love you too, Zach," I smiled up at him. He carefully pressed his lips to mine.

*****

Here's another chapter bc I realized this got like 40 reads in a day and my notifs are exploding ohmygawd I love all my readers tysm