patient

song used: patient by charlie puth (listen to it as youre reading)

*****

She was standing off to the side in the club, a drink in her hand. Probably a cosmo. Prisma loved cosmos. I wanted to go to her, to kiss her and spin her around in my arms. I wanted her.

*****

    "I know I've made my fair share of mistakes, Pri," I said, watching her pace in front of me. "When you needed me, I wasn't there. I was just--"

    "Young, dumb, and immature. Please. I've heard that before," she rolled her eyes. "Jack, the things that you did made me so insecure. You can't just do what you did. It's unforgivable."

    "Baby," I said, kneeling in front of her and holding her hands. "I'm still your man, I swear."

*****

Please be patient with me
I know I'm not what you need
But baby, I'm gonna be
So please be patient with me

*****

    "Is it too much that I'm asking for?" Prisma shouted, tears streaming down her cheeks. "Can I just have a boyfriend that won't go out to clubs and fuck every single girl willing to hook up with him?"

    "I'm sorry!" I shouted back, blinded by tears. I paused, my chest heaving. I reached out for her. "Can we start over? C-can we please end this war? I've been taking your love, I've been wasting your time. But is there still a chance of me changing your mind before you go walking out the door? You know I'm not perfect. If you leave, I deserve it. All I'm asking you is, please."

    Prisma and I stared at each other.

*****

Please be patient with me
I know I'm not what you need
But baby, I'm gonna be
So please be patient with me
Please be patient with me (patient with me)
Please be patient with me, yeah
I know I'm not what you need (I know I'm not what you need)
But baby, I'm gonna be
So please be patient with me

*****

    I took a scotch from the bar and sipped. Not my type, but was lowkey kind of good. I tried not to stare at her. But she was there in all her glory.

    She looked a lot different, to be honest. She had bleached her hair a platinum blonde and straightened it, different from her Cali-surfer blonde with its beach waves. Her skin was lighter than usual, probably the result of her studying from dawn to dusk, pursuing a career in law through Harvard. Her long legs were encased in a cocktail dress, shimmering in the pulsing neon lights.

    Almost two years of a relationship before several months of it not.

    She looked over in my direction. We locked eyes. I raised my glass, as if toasting her.

    Slowly, she toasted me.

    I tore my gaze from her, setting my glass on the bar, and walked out.

*****

Short and shitty I know but like *shrugs* I really liked the song