galaxy

In this world, everyone has a small tattoo on their wrist. Only one other has the same tattoo as you, and that is your soulmate. The tattoo starts off simple, but is added on to as you get closer to your soulmate. The completed tattoo shows once you meet your soulmate.

inspo: me too (a jack avery fanfic) by strawberryseas

*****

Christina frowned, staring at the tattoo inked on her wrist. For twelve years, it had just been a simple, four-pointed star, nothing special. The star was as big as her thumbnail, the top and bottom points longer than the side points. In other words, a diamond.

By the time she turned thirteen, a random January morning, she had felt a spark of pain shoot up her arm. Four more points, centered in the valleys made by the four former points, appeared. The new points also had dots inside them, adding to the illusion that there was a star behind the first star.

She brushed her dark brown hair out of her face, her brown eyes full of confusion. What happened, and why did it hurt so much?

She remembered her parents telling her about how they met. They had the same tattoo on their right wrists: a music note. She remembered the story of them meeting: how her dad had been playing jazz in a restaurant, music that her mom followed. It wasn't until a year of meeting each other unexpectedly that lead them to start a relationship, one that would go on for almost fifteen years now (well, considering they were soulmates, and until the end of time.)

The expression never left her face as she plopped her arm down, bored for the summer.

In his new house, Corbyn frowned as well, staring at his own tattoo. He had been carrying a box full of fragile supplies for his telescope and had nearly dropped them when he felt the pain in his arm.

He studied the new points radiating from the dips in the first four-pointed star, running a hair through his dirty blonde hair. Questions swirled through his mind: What did this mean? Was his soulmate nearby? How much closer did he get to him/her? He wondered how long it would be before he met them. He wondered what his full tattoo was, and if his soulmate liked the stars as he did.

*****

If anything, when people asked when Christina got her tattoo, her first response was, "I don't know."

Because she really didn't.

Alone in the nursery room, where other babies were sleeping, another baby is curled up in her tub, sleeping soundly as well. A little cap was on her head, the comfy onesie and warm blanket keeping the sleeping baby from waking up so far. A name tag at the bottom of her tub read, Christina Marie Harris. The nurse was clearing up the place, careful not to disturb the little ones from their slumber. She was on the night shift, waiting for the early morning nurses to relieve her of her duties.

A few hospitals away, Corbyn was brought into the world. He blinked lazily up at the weird blobs and things surrounding him before a sharp pain in his tiny wrist caused him to start crying.

He didn't like the feeling at all. He liked it better when his mommy held him and whispered, shhhh. He was able to quiet down before his mother realized the cause of his outburst was not due to being born, but something else.

Christina started wailing, feeling the same pain in her own wrist. Her left chubby hand, the one with the medical bracelet on it, reached over to touch the strange shape on her wrist.

The nurse immediately began to quiet the child down, not noticing what exactly caused Christina to cry, or her little brows to furrow.

A four pointed diamond was printed on her wrist.