coffee - janah

"This is nice," Jonah said as he entered the small cove I had found a while back. "Romantic."

    "You're just jealous that you can't come up with better ideas than watching Harry Potter," I said back sassily, earning an eye roll.

    "I have no idea what you're talking about."

    "Sure you don't."

    My head rested on my boyfriend's shoulder as we began digging through the basket that I brought.

    "You did not, Jack. You did not."

    Jonah held up a large Dunkin' Donuts frappuccino.

    "I did," I smirked. I wasn't surprised when he dumped it on me.

    "Got you back," Jonah grinned. He frowned and then proceeded to lick the side of my face. "Damn you taste good."

    "Hey!" I complained, slapping his hands away from me. He grinned even wider and kept rummaging through the basket.

*****

    "Can I get a large frappuccino, please?"

    Bored out of my mind, I rung him up. "Three dollars and sixty-seven cents."

    He dropped a few bills and coins on the counter. I passed him back his change and finally looked up at him. Dang, he was cute. His hair was swept up neatly, his shirt sleeves rolled up to reveal a swan tattoo on his bicep. His eyes were blue, rimmed with long lashes. The air suddenly became a thousand degrees hotter, though it was one of the windier days in LA.

    "Here's your receipt," I muttered, shoving it at him and immediately started to work on his drink. My hand shook as I poured in the ice. I nearly caught my apron in the blender and almost tripped on myself while holding the pitcher of coffee in my hands.

    Needless to say, I was shooketh to the core by this stranger. There was just something that drew me to him, something that felt like if we were an us, it would be a very special thing. Or something. I have no idea. I'm a confused eighteen year old hormonal boy, okay?

    "Jonah?" I called, which was probably useless. We were literally the only two in the store right now.

    "Yeah, actually, could you drizzle it in caramel? Sorry," Jonah smiled sheepishly. I tried not to copy his smile and instead added caramel. "Oh wait, and chocolate?"

    "What else do you want?" I glared at him, planting my hands on the counter in front of the drink.

    "Your number?"

    I then proceeded to dump the frappuccino on his head.

*****

    "I won't be able to live that down, will I?" I asked, sticky from the frappuccino. I had managed to get most of it off using the shirt I wore as well as the napkins we bought.

    "You might now," Jonah said, the picnic basket swinging from his arm as we walked to my car hand in hand. "I'm trying so hard not to lick the frappuccino straight off now."

    "That's disgusting."

    "Coffee is delicious."

    "The first one hundred times."

    "Well," Jonah sighed, "at least now it'll remind me of you."

*****

    Jonah took me on a tour around the city, pointing at our favorite spots to finish off our date battle on our one-year dating anniversary. He showed me the Dunkin' Donuts that I used to work at before I met him, the bookstore he and I met once again, on and on. The park where he asked me to be his boyfriend. The museum we went to for our first official date. Around the Grove for our Christmas together, as well as the pier for our New Years.

    As we sat next to each other, feet dangling off the worn wooden pier, I realized something and laughed.

    "What's funny?" Jonah asked, grinning.

    "You know how I always complain about your coffee?"

    "Jonah! Your coffee smells! Jonah, your coffee's in the way! Jonah! My papers smell like coffee! Like that?" he asked, mimicking me. I shoved him in the shoulder.

    "I do not sound like that!"

    "You kinda do, Jack."

    "Anyways, I shouldn't really be complaining."

    "Good. I was getting tired of them."

    "Shut up," I muttered. "I'm getting to the sappy part. Your love of coffee is what drew us together in the first place."

    He just inhaled and exhaled deeply. "You do really smell like coffee."

    I rolled my eyes and scooted closer to him, allowing for him to place his arm around me. He placed a kiss on my forehead as the sun set. "You also do really still taste like coffee."

    "No thanks to you," I muttered. He laughed and pulled me in for a kiss.