brooklyn house

book series: the kane chronicles by rick riordan

*****

"What are those?" Dior screamed at Jack, who looked like he was having a similar problem to her own.

"They're not shoes, Dior!" Jack screamed back, ducking behind a pedestal as whatever Ancient Egyptian artifact was there blasted to rubble.

"Jack, now is not the time to be making jokes!"

"Well, I can say that I died laughing!"

Dior sighed. It was a normal day, where she and Jack had been assigned by the museum director to clean the Egyptian exhibit. She had literally just traced the hieroglyphs on one stone salvaged from the ancient ruins when suddenly, a humanoid thing with a sword on his head and a snake tail had appeared, scaring the living hell out of the two teens.

Dior ran to the other side of the room. Unfortunately, whatever the hell was standing the middle saw her and immediately blasted the exhibits behind her.

She didn't even know what in the world the snake thing demon thing was doing, she just wanted get rid of it before it destroyed the whole exhibit.

"Dior, you okay?" Jack asked, cupping the side of her face. She noticed he had a bunch of scratches from the shrapnel, blood running down from his arms. She probably looked the same.

"I'm fine, Jack," she sighed. She placed a kiss on his cheek. "We need to split up. Try grabbing one of the swords or something. I don't know what that thing wants, but it can't be good."

"Fine," Jack sighed. "Just be safe. For me."

"You too," Dior grinned, punching him lightly in the shoulder. She rolled to one side, trying to keep clear of the blasts as she ran through the exhibits. What can help defeat something she wasn't sure how to defeat?

She cast her gaze around, trying to find soemthing. She ran past jewelry, ceramics, and blocks of hieroglyphs, trying to ignore the snake hissing to itself or the blasts.

The nearest blast knocked her off her feet. Her hand immediately touched a curved piece of ivory. She gasped at the sudden rush of knowledge of magic and hieroglyphs, no less, when the demon (she knew what it was now) loomed over her.

"Kill the godlings," it hissed. "Kill them before they make it to the nome!"

It held its hand above her.

"Ha-wi!" Dior shouted, holding the ivory in front of her face. Glowing gold hieroglyphs shone in the air:

    The demon reared back as if it had been slapped

The demon reared back as if it had been slapped. In fact, that was the spell: Strike. Dior frowned. What was going on?

She scuttled back, grabbing a length of rope sitting on the floor. She threw it at the beast and shouted, "Tas!" Bind.