bloom

song used: bloom by troye sivan

*****

I was pruning and watering my garden. I had a sort of jack-of-all-trades kind of garden: vegetables, flowers, small water fountains, succulents, etc.

    "Hey."

    A vaguely familiar blonde guy was standing at the gate. I straightened up and placed my hand on my hip, cocking my head slightly. "Do I know you?"

    "Corbyn Besson?" he said. "I'm in your chemistry class."

    "Ah," I nodded. I still couldn't place the name. "What's up?"

    "Nothing," he shrugged. "Just wanted to get to know ya."

    I thought about it. "Want to take a trip around my garden?"

    "Sure," he said, grinning. "May I come in?"

    "Well, duh," I said sarcastically. "I mean, the fountains and the waters are BEGGING just to know you."

    He grinned and came in.

*****

(Yeah I bloom) I bloom just for you
(I bloom) just for you
(Yeah I bloom) I bloom just for you
(I bloom) just for you
Come on, baby, play me like a love song
Every time it comes on
I get this sweet desire
(Yeah I bloom) I bloom just for you
(I bloom) just for you

*****

    "It's the perfect season," I said, picking more roots up from the ground. "Literally everything is bearing fruit and the flowers are flowering."

    "Really?" Corbyn asked, plucking an apple from the dwarf apple tree I had. He bit into it. "Christina, this is so good."

    "Really?" I asked, taking his apple and biting into it. "Tastes normal to me."

    "Have you ever have store-bought apples?" He asked, eyes wide.

    "Nope, not really," I said. "My family just got our food from this garden. And the farmer's market."

    I walked to the open window and placed the basket of freshly picked fruit and vegetables on the windowsill. I set my hat on the hooks outside the back door and let my hair down from the ponytail it was in. I started skipping towards the actual orchard that my parents owned, forgetting that Corbyn was with me.

    The trees danced as I ran in between them, laughing and letting the stress of the week go. I ran onto a path that led to a nearby pool of water. Just as I was about to reach the edge of the cliff, I grabbed a rope and swung, dropping into the middle of the pool. My overalls and white shirt were drenched, but it has always been worth it.

    "Christina?"

    I turned around to face Corbyn, treading water. "What?"

    "How do you rope swing?" he asked dubiously, holding the rope in his hand.

    "Just go for it," I said. "Take your shoes off, though."

    "What about you?" He asked, taking his shoes off.

    "I wasn't wearing shoes," I shrugged. His eyes widened, but he didn't say anything.

    He jumped in.

*****

    Corbyn and I spent the the last remaining months of school together and then the few months of summer as well. Honestly, we had the time of our lives together.

    "You want to go to the fair?" Corbyn asked, pulling up in his family's old Mustang. "I still need gas in the motor, though."

    "I've never been," I said, leaning across the passenger side window towards him. "What's it like?"

    "Christina," he said after a few moments of staring at me in shock, "get in. We're going to the fair."

*****

    "I need you to tell me right before it goes down," I said, gripping onto Corbyn's arm tightly. We were facing the biggest, craziest machine that I have ever seen. "Promise me you'll hold my hand if I get scared now."

    "I promise," he said, lightly kissing my forehead. "It's going to be exhilarating."

*****

(Yeah I bloom) I bloom just for you
(I bloom) just for you
(Yeah I bloom) I bloom just for you
(I bloom) just for you
Come on, baby, play me like a love song
Every time it comes on
I get this sweet desire
(Yeah I bloom) I bloom just for you
(I bloom) just for you

*****

    "You'll be fine," Corbyn said, noticing my nervous expression. He strapped me in as my breathing grew uneven and shallow.

    "Corbyn," I whispered, my eyes welling up. His words were lost to me as my vision became blurry.

    He placed his lips on mine as I held my breath and the roller coaster started.