dancing

book series: divergent by veronica roth

song used: better when i'm dancing by meghan trainor (from the peanuts movie)

*****

My head split in half as I fell on the hard floor. Or, at least, that's what it felt like.

    "Nose," a few Dauntless called out at me as I struggled to get up. I gathered my bookshelf, glaring at their backs. I adjusted my blue dress and my fake glasses, pushing my dark brown hair off my shoulders. Hmm.

    I peered at the newbie in the Dauntless group known for pushing around other students. He was shorter than the rest of them, but still a couple inches taller than me. I couldn't see much of him before the bell rang.

    I sighed and picked up my books, heading to my next class.

*****

    "Hylenna? You dropped this." Nathan gave me back the pen that I must have lost when the Dauntless shoved me.

    "Thanks," I said, taking it back and putting it into my bag. "Where are you heading after this?"

    "Probably the library. Are you going?"

    "Yeah," I said, slinging my bag onto my shoulder. "I need to do research for history. I might need to go home first, though. I left my stuff at home since I didn't have that class today."

    "Want me to come?" He offered, slinging his own bag onto his shoulder.

    "Nah, I'll be fine," I said. We walked out of the building where all the factions had their schooling and headed our separate ways.

    I immediately headed to my family's apartment. It was just me and my mother now, as my father had disappeared. My mother couldn't be bothered to look for him, immersed in her research on the Erudite drugs.

    I was a few blocks away before I heard scuffling sounds behind me. Curious, I whirled around. I crept towards the nearby alley, where the sounds were coming from. I peered around the corner.

    Several Dauntless were beating up someone, I wasn't sure which faction. His clothing was ripped, several parts stained in his blood from scratches along his chest.

    "You can't be going after some worthless Erudite! That's solidifying your factionless status. Your Choosing is almost here and if you choose wrong to go after her, it's your fault."

    Worthless Erudite? Interesting.

    The Dauntless scattered, leaving the Dauntless they had been torturing behind. I rummaged in my bag to find something to suffice as bandages, my knowledge taking over my prejudice for most factions. Or maybe my father's Amity side. Ugh.

    I ran over to the boy, who was groaning and sitting up. I immediately started to tend to his wounds, trying to move quickly and efficiently before anyone saw me helping a Dauntless.

    "Get away from me, Nose," the boy snarled, trying to act brave. However, his scared eyes said otherwise. I didn't say anything and kept applying water and pressure to his wounds, trying to stop the bleeding with a spare shirt I had found in my bag. "I said, go away!"

    I just stood, my face impassive. I picked up my bags and started to walk away.

*****

    I was reading in the cafeteria while eating lunch when someone sat in font of me. I ignored them.

    A pair of glasses, what one would call "dorky" in the old days with its huge lenses and black frame, fell onto my book.  "You dropped this."