Worse News - Chap. 18

Chapter 18

Camila breathes out slowly, grabbing Lauren’s hand. ‘’Are you ready girls?’’ Detective Mallard asks them from the front seat of the police car. They’re standing outside the courthouse, but the way in is blocked by people of the media.

‘’Just ignore them babe.’’ Lauren says softly, squeezing Camila’s hand in her own and entwining their fingers. Camila leans in to kiss her girlfriend softly, before turning back. Mallard has gotten out of the car already, and tries to get the press members out of the way so he can open the door for Camila and Lauren.

Camila blows out some air, trying to get her mind set on ignoring the questions that will be screamed at her. She feels Lauren’s fingers gently squeeze her own when Mallard opens the door and Camila steps out, pulling Lauren with her.

‘’CAMILA! HOW DO YOU FEEL TODAY?’’ ‘’WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO IF YOU’RE GUILTY?’’ ‘’WILL YOU AND LAUREN STAY TOGETHER?’’ ‘’LAUREN HOW COULD YOU STILL LOVE A MURDERER?’’ Camila shakes her head, tightly holding onto Lauren’s head and following Mallard through the crowd, up the stairs.

‘’CAMILA DO YOU DESERVE PUNISHMENT?’’ ‘’LAUREN WHY DO YOU STILL LOVE HER?’’ ‘’CAREFUL LAUREN, SHE’S GOING TO KILL YOU TOO!’’ Camila takes a deep breath and finally reaches the door of the building, quickly stepping inside and following Mallard into a small room.

Camila knows she should be angry at those people for screaming those kind of hurtful things. But her mind is completely on the verdict, and keeping Lauren close to her as long as possible. As soon as she hears the door close behind her, she lets go of the breath she was holding in and turns back to Lauren.

Lauren reaches her hand out to Camila’s face, brushing a dark strand of hair behind her ear while stepping closer to her. ‘’You okay?’’ she asks softly. Camila grabs Lauren’s hand in hers and nods. ‘’I am now.’’ She answers. Lauren smiles sadly at her before leaning in to kiss her.

Camila pulls away when she hears the door open again behind Lauren. She smiles. Tyler, Normani, Dinah and Lauren’s family walk in. She’s lucky for them to still be here for her throughout everything, and still support her.

‘’Hey girl, how are you?’’ Dinah asks while giving both Lauren and Camila a hug in greeting. ‘’Nervous.’’ Camila answers, pulling away from her hug with Normani. She looks down at her big belly and smiles. ‘’You look beautiful.’’ She compliments her friend with a sweet smile. ‘’Thanks Mila.’’ Normani answers.

‘’I really hope you’ll be there to see him or her grow up.’’ she says honestly, making Camila nod with a sad smile. ‘’I hope so too.’’ She answers, before being pulled into a hug by Tyler. ‘’Aren’t you going to tell me I look beautiful too?’’ Tyler asks playfully.

Camila laughs into his shoulder. ‘’Sorry Ty, you’re beautiful too.’’ She answers, thankful for him to lighten up her mood a bit. Next up are Clara and Taylor who both already have tears in their eyes when they hug Camila.

Camila just smiles sadly at them, thanking them for being here today. She hears Taylor mutter something to her big sister that makes Camila’s heart melt with love and tremble with fear at the same time. ‘No matter what happens today, I’ll be here for you.’ She sees Lauren nod in gratitude, trying to push back her already coming tears and hug her little sister tightly.