Chapter 7

Chapter 7

       I always tended to procrastinate for as much as I could, like packing for the camping trip the grade tens and elevens were going on. I didn't pack the night before. No, I was currently packing right now ten minutes before we had to meet outside in the courtyard.

       I had plenty of time to pack all the days before but I just didn't feel like doing it then.

       At least Jules was helping me pack since he, like always, was the most helpful person ever.

       We weren't allowed to bring our electronics with us so I was about to shut off my phone, but it started ringing. I stared at the caller ID, not knowing what to do. Did I really wanted to talk to my mom after all the times she hadn't answered my calls or texts?

       "Who is it?" Jules asked me.

       "Nobody," I said, ignoring the call before shutting off my phone and placing it in the drawer of my nightstand. "Thank you for helping me pack, by the way."

       "Well, if I didn't we'd end up being late which Mr. McCabe told us not to be, and I would rather not be separated into different tents," Jules said.

       "Oh, I see," I said, giving him a smile, but he just glared at me.

       Once I all my things were packed for the camping trip, Jules and I grabbed our belongings before heading out of the dorm and going to the courtyard where everyone had to meet. We got there just in time for Mr. McCabe to start taking attendance for the boy students while Mrs. Kinlaw was taking attendance for the girls.

       After both doing so, they started going over the rules but honestly, I just tuned them out. I wasn't much of a 'following the rules' type of person. If it was something important, Jules would just tell me later.

       "Hathaway," Mr. McCabe suddenly snapped. "Am I boring you?"

       "What? No," I said, though anyone could hear the denial in my voice.

       "Then can you repeat any of the rules I just said?" he asked.

       "As soon as the sun starts going down, no wandering through the forest away from the campsite," I said.

       "Good," Mr. McCabe said, going back to telling everyone the rules.

       I tried not smiling in satisfaction. The only reason why I assumed that was a rule was because of last year's camping trip incident when Mr. McCabe had to send a search party out for me and Jules.

       Needless to say, I was surprised Jules didn't break up with me then and there.

       Well, I was the one who found our way back after all so that probably changed his mind.

       The headmasters finally finished going over all the rules, so all the students went to where the three buses were parked. One was going to be solely for our bags and equipment while the other two were for everyone else.

       Anyone could go on whatever bus they wanted but unfortunately, Malcolm and his friends decided to get on the bus I was on with my friends. I was really hoping he would got and sit at the back of the bus since we were near the front but nope. They literally chose the seats in front of us.

       If Malcolm said a single word to Mack, or to anyone else, I was going to end up getting in trouble before we even got to the campground.

      Malcolm turned around in his seat to look at me and Jules. "So I heard Mr. McCabe and Mrs. Kinlaw are planning another parent orientation day," Malcolm said. "I'm guessing your parents aren't going to make it again like the past two years."