Ten

Nick

I kept my eyes locked on Demi as she began to pace the living room, one hand settled on her stomach as the other frantically wiped at her cheeks.

"Demi, she..." I cut myself off as Demi turned to glare at me. "She didn't do this. Demi, why would she?" she just rolled her eyes and turned away from me with a shake of her head. "She has no reason to want to spread this. It isn't going to benefit her in anyway, is it?"

"I personally don't care if it'll benefit her or not because she is obviously the person who let it slip. I don't want people to know that I'm pregnant just yet, Nick" she hissed, and I sighed, dropping back against the couch, my hand running over my head in frustration. "Nick, if it was someone else like Joe or Kelsey, it wouldn't have taken this long for it to make the headlines and, why would they want to spread it anyway?" I leant forward, rubbing at my chin with my fingers as my brain did somersaults. "Maybe she's jealous. Maybe she wants to get back at you for it or something."

"I don't know, Dem, okay?"

"I don't need this right now, Nick" I pushed myself up from the couch and stepped up to Demi, my arms wrapping around her. I didn't loosen my grip even as she pathetically tried to struggle against me. "Nick, let go" I shook my head as I just tightened my grip around her. Demi eventually collapsed against me when she realised that I wasn't loosening my grip anytime soon and her arms loosely circled around my waist.

"I know this is a lot, Dem. I don't want it getting out yet either, but we don't have to address the rumours, we don't have to announce anything until we're ready. We can just ignore the questions" I loosened my grip slightly around Demi as she pushed herself away from me.

"I suppose we can just try and avoid the topic. I don't know how I can avoid that I'm pregnant but..." she shrugged, her eyes looking up to meet mine. I couldn't help the thumping of my heart in my chest at the closeness. "I'm not exactly the greatest at lying but I suppose I can just avoid interviews. I suppose I can try to avoid everything related to babies."

"We'll just have to not comment. I'm sure something will come to us if the question ever comes up" I stroked a strand of hair behind her ear, our eyes still locked.

The silence very slowly fell around us, and it wouldn't surprise me if she could hear my heart pounding against my ribcage. I slowly and hesitantly leant forward, not even thinking as the silence fell around us. I locked a piece of her silky hair between my fingers, my fingertip running slightly along her neck. My heart fluttered and my skin tingled when I could feel Demi's warm breath against my lips. I lightly brushed my lips against hers, Demi's hands clutched at the sides of my shirt as she slightly deepened the kiss, it was then that Jess flashed through my mind and I pulled away.

"I-I shouldn't have done that. I'm sorry" Demi turned herself from me, sucking in her lower lip and I suddenly felt bad. Even though she wasn't looking at me, I could still see the heartbreak hidden in her eyes.

"Yeah, I get it. You-You can go."

"Demi..." she wiped at her cheeks with the back of her hand, refusing to make eye contact with me.

"Just go, Nick" the way she hissed my name caused my heart to break but I left without another word. The last thing that I heard before I closed the front door was a heart-breaking sob. I promised Dianna that I'd look after her, but I just broke her so much more with the most stupid sentence.

-

All that kept running through my head was the kiss, how Demi's soft and plump lips felt against mine. The electricity that shot through my body at the touch. Why do I feel this way about someone who should only be my best friend? Why do I have to be in love with my best friend?

I pushed myself up from the couch when a knock sounded on my front door. I wasn't surprised in the slightest to see Joe.

"Are you purposefully ignoring people's phone calls today?" I furrowed my eyebrows together as I shut the front door behind him and turned into the living room.

"What are you talking about?"

"I just had mom on the phone, she's been trying to call you all morning, she's worried about the rumours" I kept my eyes on Joe as he lowered himself down onto the couch, grabbing my TV remote and obviously making himself comfortable, which only started to irritate me more.

"You haven't told her anything, have you?"

"No because it isn't my business" I dropped down onto the couch beside Joe and sighed as I ran my hand over my head.

"I kissed her" I didn't turn to Joe, but I could feel his eyes burning holes into the side of my face.

"I'm guessing we're talking about Demi here?" I nodded, bringing my lips into a thin line as I briefly glanced over at him. "What happened?" I shook my head, kind of not wanting to talk about how I ended up breaking my best friend's heart all over again. "How did it feel?" I sent Joe a glare causing him to put his hands up in surrender.

"I don't know. It-It felt amazing but in a way it sort of felt wrong" I shrugged my shoulders as I glanced briefly around the room, my eyes locking briefly on the pink jacket that was flung over the back of the armchair. "I mean, I have Jess. The feelings that I have for her are growing and I feel guilty that I even kissed Demi but..." Joe sent me a sympathetic smile.

Why does life have to be so fucking complicated?

——