Chapter 18

The house phone rings. I answer it. It's Niall. He sounds like if he's had a hangover.
"Hello, Katie, it's me. I've come to say that I said all that shit on twitter. I partied with the guys and got drunk and said them things. I'm so sorry." I put down the phone and cry. What an idiot? He said the things that I feel so insecure about! At some point, I must fall asleep.

Later, I hear a knock at the door. I open it and Mikey has his arms wide open. I embrace him and he looks at me with concern.
"You ok? I heard and saw what Niall said. If it helps, I had a right go at him." He notices my smashed up mobile.
"I got you a present." He digs into his pocket and holds out a small box. He opens it to reveal a small carved kangaroo on black sting. He puts it on.
"Thanks, Mikey. I love it!"
"It's to protect you when I'm not around. Apparently, they're very dangerous, so you can't get to close to them. That's what Ashton said, anyway. Want to come over? We've got some activities planed."
"What? Colouring in?" I tease him.
"No, watching scary movies and going for a swim." he says.
"I was joking."
"Oh, sorry."
"That's ok." I run upstairs and pack my swimming stuff and go out side. We get into the car and we drive off to the 5SOS household.

We we finally get there. Ash opens the door.
"Hi there, folks." he says.
"Hi." I says. We go inside and Luke and Cal say hi.
"We've got a selection of scary movies over there." Cal says, pointing by the TV. I go over and pick "Mama".
"Let's watch this." I say.

It it was a mistake choosing that movie. It's so scary. By the end, we are all scared shitless.
"Let's swim." Cal suggests. We all agree. I put on my swimming costume and we all do a big cannon ball into the pool. We all splash about and swim laps, trying to beat each other. Then we dare each other to do stuff. For example, I dare Cal to hold his breath and dive underwater and stay there for 5 seconds (see what I did there?). He does. Then he dares me to go under for 10 seconds. I do. It's dark and I feel a million miles away. I can't breath, ropes seem to cling onto my arms and legs., holding me down. What's happening to me? I realise, too late, that I'm drowning. Then I scream and black out.

I seem to be in darkness for quite some time. I can hear sobbing, screaming and pleading voices telling me to stay alive. I try to say I will, but my voice seems to fail me. I thinks Ash is on the phone to, I don't know, maybe my mum or an ambulance? It seems pretty hectic. I try opening my eyes. It doesn't work. I suddenly find it hard to breath. Come on, lungs, do your work. No, they're too filled with water, I think. I just want to let go, to leave this earth. But I won't. I hear Mikey. He's saying something. I think this is what he says.
"Stay with me, Katie. Breath in and out. Stay calm." I think he's crying.
"I can't stay calm." I try to say, but my voice seems far away. My heart rate slows. I won't die. My breathing is slowing down.
"Shit, I can't find her pulse. Tell the ambulance to hurry up. My baby is dying." I think I hear Mikey saying. I know I'm dying and I don't know why. I just feel faint and weak and frail. And then, just for a minute, everything stops. Then, I hear the ambulance and I know I'm safe to let go.