Chapter 26

Today it's Ashton's birthday. We're in Italy now. It's a beautiful country. Katie decide to stay home, but we'll see each other when it's Luke's birthday, on the 16th of July. So it's only a week till I see her again. A lot can happen in a week.

I wake up. Calum and Luke are up already, and I get my gift from under my bed. I walk out into the hallway and meet Luke and Calum. I try hard not to laugh at them. They look too damn funny. Calum is wearing a bright blue party hat and Luke is wearing a yellow hat. I put on a pink on, and we've got noise makers. I count to 3, then we charge into Ashton's room, blowing the noise makers and jumping onto his bed.
"HAPY BIRTHDAY, ASHTON!" We yell at the top of our voices. He moans, still half-asleep.
"Thanks, guys. Now get off me, you're squashing my elbow."
"Sorry." I say. He sits up, rubbing his eyes. He then looks at us, standing at the end of his bed. He laughs.
"What the hell are you guys wearing?"
"Awwwwww, Ashton is upset that he isn't wearing a hat. Good thing we brought one for him." Calum says in baby voice, then leans/falls onto the bed. We laugh, but Calum somehow succeeds in getting a bright green hat onto Ashton's head. Me and Luke grab Calum's ankles and drag him off the bed. He falls onto the floor with a bump.
"I'm going to get you two. It's not your birthday, so I can murder you."
"But if you murder us, then we won't have any birthdays." Luke points out. Calum growls, and Luke and I run for our lives.
"Run, Luke." I cry, pushing Luke out of the way and racing down the stairs. That's when I realise that I'm in only my boxers. Great. Everyone is staring at me. I run upstairs, and into my room. I get washed, and put on my Def Leopard vest top and my stripy skinny jeans. I then head into Ashton's room to give him my present.
"Happy birthday, Ashton." I say, handing him my present.
"Aww, thanks, mate." He opens the warping paper like a kid at Christmas time. He grins at the book I got him. I just randomly found it in a bookshop and thought he'd like it. It's called "How To Play The Drums For Dummies". He opens his card. I got him a "Happy Birthday, Dad" card because he's like our dad. Ashton reads what I wrote out loud.
Dear Ashton aka Dad,

I know you're not my dad, but it sure feels like you are. You're kind, protective and very good at giving advice, oh, and playing video games. Although we've only been a band for about 2 1/2 years, it feels like longer, and with you around, there's never a dull moment. You've been there every step of the way. You been through the highs and lows with our crazy band and you've seen me mess up, but you've helped me not mess up big time, and I can't thank you enough for that. I love you, you're the bestest friend/dad/brother a guy could ever have, and that's why I'm so glad I knew you. Happy birthday, Ashton. I hope it's a good one.

Lots of love and hugs, your dear friend/brother., Michael Gordon Clifford aka Mikey.
Xxxxx
PS: This card will be the only time I'll include my terrible middle name.
Ashton laughs at the last part. He has tears in his eyes.
"That was the sweetest thing I've ever seen. Thanks, Michael." He hugs me and I hug him back.
"You're welcome." I say, tears in my eyes. We all have a group hug, then Ashton opens all the other presents, including the one Katie got. It's another bandana, but it has little kangaroos on it. She wrote him a card as well. He reads it, and ends up crying. I look it, and can't help tearing up at the last sentence.
You've helped me through the dark, all of you have, and I'm so glad to of met you because you guys have changed my life for the better.
Suddenly, we're all crying. We miss home, and our family. We're the only people we know that are from home. We're all we have. And we can't let anyone take that away from us. Not ever.

After an afternoon of Skypeing family back home, we all decide to go to bed. I call Katie before I go to bed, but the line is disconnected. She must be busy.
"Thank you for the best birthday ever. You guys are the greatest." Ashton says.
I couldn't agree more.