Chapter 4

"So, you're really going to tell this dude about his grandfather's necklace?" Mister Dorinto asked as Alfie spat toothpaste into his sink. It had been a very rough night for the teen, tossing and turning. He had a horrible nightmare about being suffocated in a room full to his head with pills. Little white painkillers were the central theme for most of his dreams in the early hours of the morning. Alfie knew it was related to a ghost, but who, and why?

"Yes, unless you have a better idea to convince someone who hates me that I can see his deceased mother?" he grumbled, trying to force a brush through his tangled hair. Short on the sides and longer on the top, just the way Alfie liked his brown hair to sit. In dim lights, it looked black. When the sun shined on it, it still looked black.

It wasn't. Alfie was sure it was dark brown.

" Give me a day or two. I'll think of something better."

"Somehow I doubt that." Alfie stared at himself in the mirror, wondering if he'd look different if both eyes were blue. "Anyway, what are you still doing in my head?"

"I want you to talk to my wife again. I can't cross over while she's this angry at me. I can feel that it's wrong."

Alfie turned and leaned against the sink. The vitreous china was cold through the fabric of his t-shirt. "If you think that'll help you cross over, then I'll get in touch with her. I won't be surprised if she doesn't want to speak, so if she doesn't, you'll have to find yourself another medium. I know someone else in town if it doesn't work out between us."

Mister Dorinto nodded. "I understand. I appreciate you giving her another chance. That's very mature of you."

"Wow," Alfie scoffed, "I don't hear that very often."

The ghost laughed and moved to the door without making a sound. "Hm, I miss food. I think I'll go and see what the secret recipe is for that Kentucky Fried Chicken place. I've always wanted to know. Have a good day Alfie."

Before the teen could reply, Mister Dorinto was gone, and Alfie was left to stare at his reflection. Every time he thought of Koda, his heartbeat smashed hard against his bones. His entire body pulsed and his stomach churned like it was full of live bugs. Talking to a crush was hard. He had already made a horrible first impression. Alfie didn't want to make it worse for himself.

* * * * *

All day, Alfie Willow stalked Koda Oaks like the crazy teen he was labelled to be. All through his classes, he repeated in his head about how he would approach such a sensitive topic. Being his blunt self hadn't worked before, but he didn't know how else to say it.

"Koda, your mum is alive. Well, not alive. She's alive in my head and has something important to tell you." Alfie cringed and shook his head. "Koda, your dead mother wants me to give you a message..." Alfie groaned and stomped out of the empty college bathroom. No matter how he worded it, he sounded incredibly insensitive.

Now it was the end of the college day; he had to find Koda and talk to him face to face. Alfie thought the best place to wait would be the entrance. So he stood out of the way and watched hundreds of students piling through the door. Most looked the same. Tired, fed up, ready to go home. Some seemed excited to be free and spend time with their friends.

Alfie wasn't the type to make friends. He was always too busy with the spirits, and fitting in friendships around his mediumship felt like too much effort. He wasn't lonely nor felt it, but a conversation with a human from time to time was refreshing.

It wasn't long until Alfie spotted Koda in among a group of his friends. Alfie rolled up his sleeves and took a big breath, preparing himself to be laughed at, but he didn't care what people thought of him. When college eventually ends, he won't see most of the students ever again, and they won't dedicate their time to thinking about him, no matter how much he convinced himself that they do.