Chapter 14

That word: Murder. Such a blunt, harsh, and straight to the point kind of word, one that meant trouble, death, breaking the law, prison. Koda didn't like that it was used to describe how his mother died. He didn't like it one bit.

"I don't believe you," he said almost immediately. How could he?

"It's true. I wouldn't say it if I weren't one hundred per cent certain."

Koda stared into his father's intense eyes. "They told me it was an overdose."

"They," Morlen said, crossing his arms. "The doctors. They're all in on it. Everyone, liars and killers. We can't trust anyone."

Koda wanted to laugh at the sheer madness of their conversation. "You've finally lost your mind. Doctors don't lie about something like that."

"They do if the government gets involved." Morlen looked serious, almost deadly with how sharp his features sat against his pale skin.

"When was the last time you slept?" First, Koda's mother died, then he was told that ghosts were real, now his father was telling him that his mother's death was one big lie to cover up what, exactly?

"I know it's something you don't want to hear, but it's the truth and I swear on your life that I'm not lying."

Koda then laughed. It was heartless and lacked amusement. "You don't care enough about me to swear on my life and mean it. How stupid do you think I am?"

"You're my son. Of course I care about you." Morlen spoke so harshly, Koda thought he saw a crack of hurt in his concrete gaze.

"You have a funny way of showing it." Koda thought back to when he told his father, the rugby coach who had a 'tough guy' reputation to withhold, that his son would be studying art at college. Morlen was furious and refused to fund any of the art supplies that he needed and refused to give him lifts or money for the bus. Koda even considered dropping out when his dad wouldn't stop telling everyone about how much of a disappointment he was to people he met on the coaching field, players, parents, friends.

The horror on his father's face when Koda told him he was gay was imprinted onto his brain. Koda had never felt so ashamed of himself, so eager to take back what he said, or so ready to run away. His dad stopped talking to him for weeks, and their relationship deteriorated from there. As tragic as it sounded, Koda thought that his mother's death might bring them closer together. When the doctors said she had died, Morlen held Koda while he cried like he was in unbearable pain, rubbed his back and promised that they'd get through it, together.

The next day, Morlen was gone, and his daily ritual of getting drunk began. Koda was used to his parents breaking promises, but it still stung like a fresh wound.

"I know it's my issue that I can't accept you for being g- who you are, but art?"

"Oh my god." Koda sank into his chair. "You just told me that mum was murdered and you want to lecture me on how to be the perfect son?"

"Keep your voice down-"

"No! There's nobody here to listen to your insane theories. Just take me home so I can get away from you." Koda crossed his arms and glared out of the window, watching the heavy raindrops pouring down the glass. He could see his fathers reflection, and he didn't stop staring at him.

"I didn't want to involve you in any of this, but you're the one who's in danger."

"From who? Your imaginary killers?" Koda reminded himself of Alfie with the sarcasm.

"When we get home, I'll show you, then you'll believe me." Morlen restarted the car, and the engine roared to life, the headlights revealed the soaking road in front of them. The rain had slowed, but Koda's heart hadn't.