Chapter 16: Sen-Hime

The year 1866. A year passed yet again, Chizuru and I made up that's one problem out of the picture but I'm still hanging around the Shinsengumi...I know to myself that I need to decide to leave Chizuru here soon since I'm having second thoughts about leaving her but I need to strengthen my resolve in doing so...but my problem is that I still don't have any relevant information about Yukimura Kodo and the second is Kazama's intentions about her and the third is that unknown demon's intention towards me...

"..." I gave out a defeated sigh
Well the Shinsengumi still has it tough though, the Chōshū Domain were declared enemies of the court, and the shogun gathered other domains and launched a military campaign known as the Chōshū Expedition. It was the intention of the shogunate to completely demolish the Chōshū Domain, but intervention on the part of the Satsuma and some of the other domains to an early end for the expedition with no actual battles fought. The Satsuma Domain and the Chōshū Domain are clearly helping each other since Shiranui-san did say that he was working with Kazama so it's understandable that the two Domains are helping each other although it's not really my place to mess with the human affairs the Shinsengumi should've thought about why the Satsuma would intervene an expedition that wants to annihilate the enemy or Chōshū Domain to be exact. The Chōshū did fell silent for a time, their obedience where short lived, however, and before their disrespect for the shogun became impossible to ignore, Kondou the captain of the Shinsengumi was asked to accompany an envoy sent to the Chōshū to investigate their behavior, but they refused to even meet the envoy. Fed up with the insubordination, the shogunate ordered the Second Chōshū Expedition...but there is a saying that when a rat is cornered by its enemy that is the time it will strike back or so I heard...

"Hey guys! Listen up!" Nagakura's voice caught my attention I was watching Chizuru clean the yard

"What is it, Nagakura-san? Is something wrong?" Chizuru stops sweeping the ground her attention as well diverting to Nagakura

"What, you run into some outlaw ronin out there?" Harada asked beside me.

"No, it's way worse than that. I heard that Lord Iemochi's dead!" Shinpanchi shouted to his best friend Harada's eyes went wide

"What?!" Chizuru exclaimed surprised

I'm not very interested in the history of the human lords or what their role is since they are the ones who wants to destroy our Clan and also want our power and to be married with them to tighten diplomatic relations between demons and humans but my father doesn't agree to that marriage thing they usually bring up, but if my memory is correct that is the 14th Shogun of the Tokugawa Shogunate...

"..." Chizuru's expression suddenly became worried

"Are you sure? Man, this has gotta be the worst time for something like this to happen...." Harada tells Nagakura

"What's gonna happen to the Chōshū Expedition? Have they decided on a new shogun yet?" Harada questions

A Shogun that is very well guarded suddenly killed in an instant after a second Chōshū Expedition is announced huh? That's a pretty suspicious thing to happen....the Shinsengumi is in for a rough time when the leader is taken down the system will most likely crumble or erode, what will the Shinsengumi do now?

"I don't really know the details..." Nagakura says his eyebrows furrowed

"There's no way we can go to war without a leader...it'd destroy morale" Harada mutters

"I know, I've got a real bad feeling about this..." Nagakura says pursing his lips

"It looks like the Shinsengumi is in trouble..." Chizuru comes up to me "do you think that they'll be okay?" Chizuru asks me