1. 2. 3. ~Shalaska

The dark, cold, airy breeze danced in the even darker night sky. Alaska breathed in the ashy air as small amounts of rain began to fall from the atmosphere. She kicked some pebbles along the sidewalk while water droplets hit her head. You could almost hear the depression of the weather while Alaska tightened her grip onto her sweater. The rainfall became more rapid and the color of the city began to fade away with the memorable experiences of life. There was no color for miles. No happiness to look for. The gray array of colors around the city looked as if it was a 1950's film, or a 2000's horror movie. One or the other, and one or the other it was.

Alaska knew it wasn't smart to be outside in the late hours of the day. She had been told many scary stories as a child, but none really stuck with her. Just like most things, she was told to believe it, but didn't. Not until it happened to her. And that's just what gets her into trouble. All. The. Time. After all, it's 1, 2, 3, times your gone, and Alaska was on the verge of messing with paranormal things for her third time. October 13, Friday, 12:00, Alaska stood in the rolling fields of dead grass and tumble weeds. Welted flowers stood at the ends of the small grassland, bordering the dead vegetation from the dying city.

She sat on the soggy grass, water stinging her eyes. The world created a barrier between life and death. She was about to break it. She looked down as rain hit her long eyelashes and fell into her eyes, causing the world to appear blurry in front of her. She placed a hand on the wooden board in front of her. She picked up the unattached piece and viewed it. She inspected the details printed onto it's sides before setting in back down, lightly holding it. This was it. She was going to try to summon a ghost.

She let out a heavy breath, before speaking clearly over the rain. The the rain stopped, and the piece moved. Saying that she was terrified would be an understatement, she hadn't expected for it to actually work. Like said before, she didn't believe in things like this, she just tried it to prove to others she was right.

But she was wrong.

"1..." She mumbled as the board piece was moving around to different letters. S.

"...2" She kept a quiet tone as it slowly paced over to the nest letter. H.

"3..." The piece hovered over an A.

Then it stopped raining and the board shook rapidly, causing Alaska to jump back in fear. The slowly crawled backwards as the piece moved strikingly fast to the other letters.

R

O

N

Sharon didn't sound like a dead spirit, the name didn't sound evil at all, but no matter what, Alaska's mind was stuck on the fact that she just summoned a demon. A female, taller than Alaska, with a very white, almost see-through complexion stood where the board had once been. She had black lips and dark circles around her white eyes. She had short, once again sheer hair and long black nails. Alaska stumbled to her feet before her eyes widened to the size of large grapes. The spirit did nothing, it still stood still, but it's eyes moved around the dead terrain.

Alaska tried to take this moment to run away, but she couldn't. The dead flowers that had once bordered the field were tall, vine like structures, trapping her in. She ran as far as she could, not seeing the spirit any longer. She sat down and held her heart, breathing heavily, her eyes darting around the area. She leaned her head back, against the vines and closed her eyes. Maybe she was dreaming? She had to be this couldn't be real. But she couldn't wake up and be safe. It was real.

"You're hiding." A voice spoke behind Alaska, her eyes bolting open. The ghost was now... less clear? And now resembled more of a human figure. Alaska couldn't run anymore. She was at the furthest point. The spirit reached out a hand, and with much hesitation, Alaska took it. "You're lucky an evil spirit didn't get out first." The girl spoke. "If so, that would have been horrible." Alaska now stood on the ground, still shocked from what had happened. "But, with good vibes comes bad intentions. Another must have escaped, because there is no way I'm the only one you freed." 'Sharon' said, pointing to where the board had once been.

Alaska looked around, still not speaking to Sharon. "It's okay, I can help you if you don't want to be attacked in you're sleep. Hey, have you ever heard of Pandora's Box?" Sharon asked. "I know someone named Pandora Boxx." Alaska stated, and Sharon rolled her eyes. "No. Like the myth." Alaska shook her head. "Pandora was a goddess, in Greek mythology. She was very nosy, and a quite curious person. When Prometheus stole fire from heaven, Zeus, the king of the gods, took vengeance by presenting Pandora to Prometheus' brother Epimetheus. Pandora, one day, knowing a jar had been left in one's care, she decided to open it. The jar seemed magical at first, it felt like a good idea. But it was not. When she opened the jar, she released unthinkable things such as horrible sicknesses, death, and many, many, more unspecified evils. Though when she found this out, she quickly rushed to close the box, resulting in one thing being left behind in it. That thing was hope. It was her fault, and there was no way to fix it until she found out that hope was still left in the box. Many people didn't survive, and diseases became far more deadly than those who lived on that mountain could have imagined."

"How does that have anything to do with this?" Alaska asked. Sharon sighed before speaking. "With good comes evil, and I'm afraid evil is more common, my dear. If I'm the only good spirit, how many evil spirits could be out there?" Alaska gulped, realizing she had made a mistake. A huge mistake.

Could hope still be in her box?