Chapter Thirty-Four

PLEASE STICK AT THE END OF THIS CHAPTER H H H H

Alex's POV

Breakfast in the morning was different, least to say.

We all decided to gather under a tree with out food and sit together, since yesterday was "such a fun night".

As I sat down beside Herc and Angie, I saw John sit down beside Eliza and Peggy.

And I've never seen him so broken.

His eyes seemed like they were all normal, but I could obviously see the broken parts inside. I hated how his smile looked on him- it seemed as if his freckles were doing all the work of pulling the face back together to create a mask. As he sat down, he didn't dare look at me or Maria- and I wasn't gonna blame him.

"So, what's the plan for today?" Herc asked.

"Well, we leave in two days," everyone groaned as Laf said those words, "so we have to make today and tomorrow count, mon amies. We should go paddling in in the river."

Everyone seemed to agree, nodding and giving off thumbs ups. I was one of those people, but I knew that something as paddling through a river was not going to distract me from my situation.

"Alright, I volunteer on going with Herc!" Angie bit into her sandwich. Herc smiled and agreed. They have been hanging out a lot recently.

"Alright, the rest can go in couples," Peggy set down her apple juice box and pointed with two fingers, "Me and Laf, Eliza and Maria, John and Alex, and James can ride with anyone that he likes. Sorry James!"

James shrugged and sipped his juice. "It's fine, you guys can choose for me."

I paled as soon as I heard my name combined with John's. I didn't even have to look to tell John was in the same situation. Maybe I should ask James if-

"You can ride with us!" Eliza giggled, waving him over where she had an arm around Maria.

I mentally slammed myself as I gulped. I was going to get murdered in that boat. Might as well start writing my will now.

Well, not like I've already done that with Herc as my friend.

"Okay, let's get to it!" Eliza capped her hands as if to say 'chop chop everyone!' and well gathered our trash, threw it away, and went to get ready. I stood up and went to John as he started to walk away first, going to the little hut beside the river to get the boats, paddles, and life jackets.

"Look John, I'm so-"

"Just don't talk to me right now."

We made it to the hut and Herc and James were right behind us, running. Herc got there first and helped us carry everything down. James came later and took out the life jackets out of the chest, coughing.

"Sorry, there was a lot of dust."

Everyone made it and we divided into our little groups. John and I got the green boat and yellow paddles. I almost laughed to myself as it looked like we were gonna ride in a turtle- John's favorite animal.

"Alright, we'll see ya on the other side!" Peggy waved as her and Laf were already in their yellow raft, paddling with their blue paddles.

Me and John put on our life jackets as we pushed the boat closer to the water. I held the boat sturdy and nodded my head towards the boat, signaling for him to get in, which he did.

"Thanks" was all he said as he sat down and tightened his messy bun.

I swiftly got in and sat beside John, and he handed me a paddle before slightly moving farther from my in the seat.

Here goes nothing.

*** *** *** ***

We had been paddling for 5 minutes.

5 minutes of complete silence.

Well, it wasn't completely silent- I could hear the others laughing and Eliza, Maria, and James shriek as they almost rocked the boat over trying to get their dropped grey oars from the water.

The only thing that was silent was my boat- we just looked straight ahead and kept paddling. I know I hurt him a lot, I know my mistake, but I wanted to fix it. I want to reconnect with him, I want to kiss him and cuddle him.

"At least we got the green boat, I know it's your favorite color." I forced a small chuckle.

I heard John sigh.

"Look Alex, I appreciate you trying to make this situation better, but there's nothing you can really do. You hurt me, more than you can imagine. Not only that, but you're gonna hurt Eliza as well, and was like your sister and mine too."

I looked down at the yellow paddle I was rowing with. "I know, and I really am sorry, I want to go back and fix it -"

"-But you can't. Look, I'm not in the mood to talk to you right now. All I wanna do is focus on rowing us to shore and out of this goddamn boat."

And as soon as he said that, I leaned over my in frustration of this situation. I didn't realize how far I was leaning until soon enough our boat tipped over and we fell into the water.

*** *** *** ***

GUYS I SAW HAMILTON YESTERDAY, AND IT WAS AMAZING!!!

IT TOOK A LONG TIME TO GET THERE BUT WE GOT THERE AND WE WATCHED IT AND- *squeals*

OKAYOKAYOKAY LOVE YOU ALL MERRY CHRYSLER AND HAPPY NEW YEAR!