Honesty Is Key To Friendship

Jake's POV

I drove as fast as I could. Swerving through traffic and shifting gears. I took a few turns too quickly earning swear words from Luke. Who was in the back seat of my mustang cradling an unconscious Alicia. The words he had told me just before she fainted were screaming in the back of my mind as I fought to stay focused on the road in front of me.

She's pregnant? How the fuck can she be pregnant with Luke's baby? My fucking best friend! Or so I thought. He knew how much I adored her. He just couldn't help himself.

I slammed the car into third gear and the car lurched forward. Throwing us all into our seats.

"Fuck! Jake, Can you please not kill us in your death trap of a vehicle before we get to your house?" Luke yelled.

I glanced in the rearview mirror at him. He was looking down at Alicia with his glossy green eyes. He was cradling her head and palming her cheeks as she lay still. His face looked bruised and bashed in by someone. I smiled internally at the thought that he had already gotten his ass beat. But I had internally wished that someone was me. More anger rose from the pit of my stomach at the sight of their closeness. I couldn't wait to get to my house and lay her safely in my bed. I'd already called our family doctor who will be meeting us at my house.

I'm going to be the one to take care of her. Not him. She's mine. Pregnant or not. I wasn't going to let her go that easily.

I grit my teeth and gripped the steering wheel hard until my knuckles turned pure white. The leather of my steering wheel creaked beneath my grip. I downshifted just before taking a sharp turn into my driveway.

"Fucking hell dude! Slow the fuck down." Luke seethed

"Why don't you shut your fucking mouth. We're here anyway." I recoiled.

The car skid to a stop when threw the shifter into park. I had the door open and was rounding the back of the car before Luke had even managed to open his own door. I pulled Alicia from his lap carefully while he protested.

"I've got her." Luke offered.

"No, I've got her!" I argued as I cradled her and walked toward my front door leaving Luke still sitting in the backseat of my mustang looking like he was ready to rip my head from my shoulders.

I kicked the front door open and slammed it behind me. I hoped Luke would get the hint and not follow but he didn't. Before I reached the stairs, Luke was flinging my front door open and was racing to my side.

"Let me help," Luke said meekly.

"No. I think you've done enough!" I growled.

I looked down at Alicia's pale face. She was completely unaware of what was to come. Soon as I got the doctor with her I planned to have a few choice words with my so-called best friend.
As soon as I lay her in my bed the doorbell rang.

"That's the Doctor, go get him and bring him to my room," I ordered.

"But.."

"Go!" I yelled.

I saw Luke flinch from my aggressive tone of voice in the corner of my eye. Luke lowered his head in defeat and walked out of my room. I lifted Alicia's legs and slipped them under my comforter. I caressed her cheek as I got down on my knees at the side of my bed. I placed her hand in mine and held her fingers to my lips until I heard soft quiet footsteps approach at my back.

"What happened?" The doctor said after clearing his throat.

I gently laid her hand at her side and stood to shake his hand. Luke was eyeing me as he paced the floor silently behind him like an angry tiger. I gave him a stern look and clenched my jaw.