Mother Dear

Alicia's POV.

After we excitedly signed the paperwork for the house we just bought we headed to Luke's parent's house. Luke assured me that his mother was going to be nicer to me this time. So much so that it would be like I was meeting a totally different Ms. Lee. I had my own reservations but decided to trust him and get this dinner over with.

"I promise love, she's changed her whole outlook on our relationship. She's actually pretty excited about being a grandmother now." Luke said enthusiastically as we pulled into the driveway.

"We shall see about that. If she says one wrong thing to me I'm leaving and never coming back. Understand?"

"I understand. And I also understand why you're so hesitant and wary of her. I promise, if she is mean to you again I'll be leaving with you." He said sternly.

"Just don't leave me alone with her. Not for a single second. Okay?" I asked with pleading eyes.

He took both of my hands and kissed them.

"I promise. I'll even go to the bathroom with you if you have to pee." He chuckled.

"I don't think we will need to take it that far. Let's just get this over with." I said begrudgingly as I walked toward the door with my head held high.

Internally I was shaking like a leaf in a rainstorm but I didn't want to show anyone I was afraid so I put on a front and barreled my way through the massive oak front doors ahead of both of them.

"Look at our Alicia go. She's gritting her teeth and going in for the kill." Jake said as if he was a sports announcer at a kickboxing match.

I threw a serious look his way and he instantly clamped his mouth shut.

"Mom! Dad! We are here." Luke called out.

Seconds later Luke's mother came around the corner holding an empty glass of wine in one hand and a wine bottle in the other. She was wearing a skin-tight white tube dress and had her hair perfectly positioned in a tight bun on the top of her head. Her earlobes were weighed down by the biggest pair of teardrop diamond earrings I had ever seen. Her nails painted blood red to match her lip stain. She had a huge smile plastered on her face as she looked adoringly at Luke.

"Darling! Our son has finally arrived with his wonderful girlfriend and... Jake."  She said as she closed the distance and wrapped her arms around Luke.

"Sweetheart I thought you would never get here. I have been so anxious all day. How dare you keep your mother waiting until near seven pm. You know it isn't good to be eating dinner that late."

"Sorry, mother. We were held back with paperwork on a house we decided to buy." Luke answered coolly as he pecked her on her cheek.

I watched her closely for any kind of response to his admission to buying a house. She remained poised but blinked rapidly and swallowed like there was a bad taste in her mouth. She pressed her lips together forming a thin line as if she was restraining herself from saying something that would upset Luke. She released him and stepped back before turning toward me. My heart pounded in my chest as she stepped toward me. I was unsure what to do as I froze in my tracks. She placed her hands on my shoulders and pulled me in for a brief hug. She placed a quick peck on my cheek before pulling away.

"It's nice to see you again.. Alicia." She said between her teeth.

"Umm.. you as well," I responded.

She quickly turned her back to me and retreated back toward the living area. She waved her wineglass in the air at Jake.

 "You're here too... Jake? Nice to see you," she muttered dismissively.