Make It Go Away

The walk to school this morning seemed a lot more bright today; the sky was clear apart from a few little clouds, a soft breeze blew up the roads as a few cars drove past. The air smelled crisp possibly because it was close to autumn and the temperature was getting cooler. I couldn't help but hum a little tune to myself as I walked; which seemed to get Jodie's attention.

"Someone seem happy today." I gave a nod in response; not really registering the fact we were actually walking together. I was too caught up in my thoughts.

"So, what's got you in a good mood?" My eyes shifted to her gaze, she did seem actually interested in what had me in a sudden change of state. "Since, you know. You're normally a lot more calm and collective. And it's kinda rare to see you like this; no offence." This made me stop walking which followed with her doing the same looking rather concerned. "I didn't mean to be nosey. It's just... We never really talk together or hang out anymore like we used to. Y'know? I miss it."

I suppose I can see where she's coming from. Yes we did spend time together a few months back but I had grown tired of hanging around boys; which she loved to do. Then again... I guess she was my first friend I made when I first moved here.

...friend...

I stood there silently thinking about what I should say, then I just smiled.

"I fell in love."

Just saying those words gave me a wave of joy which spread across my body.

Jodie just stared at me, wide eyed. Then she took my hands into hers. "Who is he? What class is he in? What year is he? Is he tall? Is he cute? Is he attractive? Have you asked him out yet? Has he asked you out yet? Are you dating? When did you meet him? Where did you meet him?"

There was just silence.

"Cmon I wanna know! This is exciting!"

"I don't know why you're so interested." She puffed up her cheeks in irritation as she donked me on the head lightly with her right hand.

"Ow!"

"It's my JOB to know! This is exciting, from what I know this is the first time you've had a crush on a boy!"

I looked down a little.

...Was this just a crush...? It feels... more then that...

I heard her gasp which was followed by a squeal of excitement. "OH MY GOD IT IS!"

"Keep your voice down!" I didn't want anybody else to know, in fear they might try to take him from me. But my protest just made her giggle. "I've never seen you like this before, you're so cute when you're in love!" She continued to bob with excitement as I simply breathed in then let out a huge sigh. "Jodie. Please. Don't make such a big deal out of this." She looked at me with an irritated expression. "How come? I've always wanted to help you in a situation like this!"

"Although I don't know why you really want to, I'd be grateful if you stayed out of this." Her expression then just changed to confusion and disappointment. "But, An. I wanna help here... It's what friends do." I nodded in reply. "Right. And as my friend I would appreciate it if you stayed out of this."

"But..." I looked away from her a little.

"I want to be able to do something like this by myself; if this does become something. So please, stay out of it. I want to do this alone." She just looked even more confused but after a moment of silence in what I presumed she was using to think; she sighed. "Alright. Alright. I'll stay out of it. Just promise you won't leave me in the dirt for this guy. Alright?" She chuckled a little at her statement as she turned around to continue our walk to school.