Chapter 26

*Mick's POV*

I heard a knock at the door and when I went to open it I saw Laura standing there. Her eyes were bloodshot and puffy and seeing her like this sent shots of worry and panic through my whole body.

"Matt your test results came back and, oh god honey I'm so sorry." She said as she cried.

"Mom-"

"Matt baby, you have cancer." She managed to get out inbetween sobs.

"What?" Matt quietly let out.

I didn't say anything, I couldn't. I just froze there with my hand over my mouth and tears in my eyes. I was in shock. How could this be happening? No it can't be happening. It just can't.

I sat down on the floor against the wall and quietly cried with my head in my hands for what seemed like forever. It must have been at least and hour, I'm not really sure though.

"What's going to happen?" I heard Matt ask as I started to run out of tears.

"We'll need to do a biopsy and then we'll tell from there what treatment to start."

"What...what type of cancer is it?" I ask from the corner.

"Leukemia."

*

I woke up the next morning on the uncomfortable couch in Matt's hospital room. I looked around and saw Matt was still asleep in his bed. I got up and went into the bathroom to brush my teeth and hair. I still had smeared mascara under my eyes from the tragic night before.

After making myself as presentable as possible I went downstairs to get some coffee. As I was in the elevator I heard my phone ring, I looked at the screen and it said Jack G was calling.

"Hello?" I asked trying to sound less miserable than how I felt.

"Hey Micky, I've been trying to call you and Matt since last night I heard he was in the hospital is everything ok?"

"Uhm...no." I answered starting to cry all over again. "Jack, Matt's sick. He's really really sick." I said sobbing.

"Listen I'll call the other guys and we'll fly down the next flight out. Does that sound ok?"

"Yes, we really need you guys right now." I exclaimed continuing to sob.

"Hang in there Micky, when you get the chance tell Matt the same thing. We're on our way."

As I hung up with Jack I then remembered that I told Madi I would call her if we heard anything. I know I couldn't talk about it without crying again so I decided to text her telling her to come over here later this evening.

After I sent the text to Madi the elevator doors opened and I stepped into the long beige hallway leading to the cafeteria. As I walked I kept passing a bunch of sick kids, there were children in wheelchairs all hooked up to IVs and most dressed in hospital gowns. Some kids had breathing tubes and a lot had colorful bandanas tied around the heads to make up for the loss of hair.

I couldn't help but see Matt in all of their faces. I tried to keep from crying but crying seemed to be a theme in these last 15 hours. Unable to hold back my tears anymore, I went into the first seen bathroom and allowed myself to cry yet again. I really wanted to help Matt but I knew there was nothing I could do. He's been there for me since I was 5 and he's been incredibly amazing these last few months with everything. He's helped me with so much, hell he's even saved my life before...but I couldn't save his. I couldn't do anything I was so helpless. Nothing that I could say or do would take away this disease. I couldn't say anything that would bring the life back in his eyes and I couldn't do anything to restore his strength. I could do nothing for him and I promise you that that is the worst feeling in the whole world. Looking at someone you love looking at the person who you can't live without and seeing them in trouble and knowing that you can't fix it. That there is no possible way you could ever do anything to save them. That is by far the most soul crushing, heart breaking thing I have ever felt in my whole life.