Chapter 10: Devin

| Later that afternoon, 3:26 pm, at the bottom of the Cherry Blossom |

"Damn it!"
I held the gauze in place as Tara groaned in pain at the touch. Watching her fight that guy, it showed she had no experience in actual battle. Losing to that guy was expected but not like this. He would've killed her if she hadn't surrendered.
"Gah!" She grabbed my hand tightly breathing softly.
"Sorry Tara. I'm trying to be as gentle as I can but you can't avoid the pain."
"He stabbed me with my own switchblade. The pain ALONG WITH the hole in my arm are all I'm focusing on."
"I'm sorry" I said again to her. She sighed and let go of my hand.
"Just continue. I need this wound closed up if I'm gonna continue training."
"You got it." As I continued, completely focused on my task, I couldn't help but be thankful for how hard they were going on her. Yolaris is someone who I've dreaded seeing again.. her power is unmatched by anyone... I don't even know if Tara stands a good chance with everything Yolaris has at her disposal but.. hopefully Matthew is able to give her what she needs to face her. Getting into thinking about the queen, I remembered almost everything she put me through as a child. All of the training.. the brutal punishments if I messed up... everything she made me do to others.. innocent people she had me ruthlessly murder for her.. she'd never allow her own hands to get dirty if not necessary... I was so deep in my thoughts though that I didn't notice I was already done and wrapping it. I also didn't notice myself press down onto her wound after I finished.
"OW!!!"
"O-Oh god- I'm so sorry-" I immediately pulled my hand back. "I- I managed to close it but it still needs time to heal."
She sighed heavily gripping her arm. "I don't have time to let it heal. Your uncle said four days until Icamus. I need to train as much as I can."
"Yeah but I don't want you killing yourself just to get stronger."
"Oh please." She rolled her eyes. "If I haven't died yet with all we've been through I'm not dying yet. And besides. Who knows what kind of things we'll come up against in Icamus? I need to be able to protect you."
I furrowed my brows looking at her. "Fine. Just promise me you'll be careful."
She crossed her arms looking at me. "I don't make promises I know I won't keep. But I'll try to be careful. Okay?"
I just sighed, knowing that's as good as I'd get to a promise.
"Fine."
Then we heard Jasmine come down with a tray of food for us. And immediately Tara turned her attention to the tray and stared at the food hungrily.
"Hey girls. Kyle made some food for you" she said as came down.
"Give it here! I'm so hungry!" She reached for the tray with ravenous eyes. Jasmine moved the tray away looking down at her.
"Greedy little kid."
She looked up at her pleadingly. "You try not eating any real food for almost two full weeks!"
She just rolled her eyes and handed Tara the tray. And she instantly began gobbling it down. I smiled a bit watching her and sighed as Jasmine sat next to me.
"So Dev. How much do you think has changed in Mopiteca?"
I sat back looking at the ceiling. "Honestly, I'm not sure. Its been a little over ten years since I ran away. I don't know what's been going on because I haven't bothered to check up."
Tara glanced at me and swallowed. "What do you mean ten years? What even happened for you to run away?"
I glanced away at her question and stayed quiet.
Jasmine put a hand on my shoulder. "Its alright Devin. When they were kids, the queen killed Devin's older sister Amanda because she was trying to protect her."
Tara went silent for a bit just staring at me. "....Devin are you serious?"
I just stayed silent, trying not to tear up.
She swallowed looking at me.
"I'm so sorry Devin. Why didn't you ever tell me?"
Jasmine sighed softly. "She never liked to talk about it. If she did, she'd resent her mo--"
"Jaz-" I glared at Jasmine with furiously angry tears. She tensed up a bit looking back at her and nodded.
"Sorry. She'd resent the Queen even more."
Tara looked at Jasmine. "Who exactly is she? The Queen?"
"Carla Yolaris. Queen of Mopiteca and the galaxy surrounding it. Her status and name are feared throughout the United Galaxies. Your World may have had their own king but that was because he and she came to an agreement surprisingly. She's known for her ruthlessness, selfish ways and inability to feel pain. She's a living legend. Her eldest daughter and even her husband were terrified of her."
She blinked. "Wow. I never knew she was that scary."
I let out a heavy sigh and stood up. Tara looked up at me and grabbed my hand gently. I turned my head away as she stood up too.
"Devin please. From now on you need to tell me the things I need to know to protect you. That includes things I need to know not to mention. Please promise me you'll start telling me."
I just looked at her. "I don't make promises I know I won't keep. But I'll try."
She smiled a little to this. "Thank you."
"Well girls", Jasmine exclaimed before standing up. "I think we've had enough doom and gloom. What's say we take a swim together? We're right about where Devin's favorite pod of dolphins usually swim."
I smiled a bit and nodded slowly. "Sounds like fun.."
"Alright then! I'll go let Patrick know. Let's go." Jasmine walked upstairs, leaving Tara and I alone.
"Devin? Are you alright?" She looked at me as she held my hands.
I turned to her with a smile. "I'm fine now. I'm sorry I never really brought it up to you but.. I'm sure you can see why." She nodded to me.
"Of course. I'm in a similar boat. But I can't imagine having to go through it however you did."
I nodded and sighed out softly. "I do promise I'll do my best to be more open with you about this stuff. Because you're right. You do have a right to know because its necessary." She smiled at me. Her smile.. it gives me so much energy.. so much to look forward to... it was vibrant and stunning.. each day I felt myself becoming more and more attracted to her. I was so happy to have her around.
"Girls!" Jasmine called from upstairs. "I've prepared for our swim. Hurry upstairs!"
Tara called back "Thanks Jasmine!" We're coming right now!" then smiled at me again. "Let's go. I'm excited to meet these dolphins." She went upstairs, leading me by my hand. I watched her hand hold onto mine as I followed behind her. Her hand is so warm..