Chapter 21: Tara

"Did you hear what they said?" I looked up at Devin from my seat in front of the hospital as she walked through the building doors. She sat back down next to me and sighed.
"Yeah. Nothing too deadly but there is internal bleeding to his liver, left lung and both kidneys. Doctor said he also has four broken ribs and some torn muscles. He's gonna need surgery and Patrick said he was gonna stay back with him until its over. He gave us some money to use if we wanna just walk around. About six hundred milos."
I gagged on my water coughing. "Six hundred milos??? Why so much??" She giggled and gave me a napkin. I took it and wiped my mouth patting my chest.
"There's a lot of expensive merchandise in Rëpica. And a lot of it tempting you to pay. He just gave us enough if that happens. So wanna go?" She smiled at me and once again, her beautiful eyes twinkled in the sun. I smiled and nodded standing.
"Yeah. Let's go. Sounds kinda fun." I walked away, her following with a big smile taking my arm. I rolled my eyes a bit but smiled.
Only a half hour into being in this capital. And we're already down to two hundred and ninety five milos. I glanced over at Devin and her unnecessarily large amount of bags annoyed. I sighed heavily and looked over at her.
"Was all of this really needed Dev? You realize that YOU'RE the only one spending up all the money right?" She smiled a bit flustered.
"Yeah I know but its not like I could help it! Some of the store clerks here use hypnosis amulets to lure customers in."
"And yet I was effected none?"
"Its not MY fault you have such a good tolerance!"
"Its not my fault you have such a bad one." I rolled my eyes. "You'd think Patrick or Jasmine would give you something for THAT as well."
She giggled as we walked along the dock. "I guess yeah. I'll try my best to resist at the next store."
I glanced at her and scoffed. "I bet you won't last two minutes. Tops."
"Aw come on have some faith in me." She whined. I just chuckled and stayed silent as we walked.
"Hey.... Tara..?" She spoke again. "We're friends right?"
I looked at her. "Yeah of course we are."
"So I can trust you with anything? Even a secret? If I kept it from you even though we promised to tell each other everything? You'll still be my friend?" She looked at me.
"Yes of course. I'll still be with you no matter what. Is something wrong?" She stopped which caused me to stop and look at her. "Devin?"
She waited a couple more seconds then stepped in closer to me starting to whisper something in my ear. I went silent for a while to listen before all of a sudden, with a pained yelp, Devin fell over dropping everything and holding her leg. I knelt down to her instantly, confused as to what just happened. "Devin? Hey are you alright? What-" I looked at her leg and saw she had been tranquilized. When I stood to get help I was tackled from behind and the last thing I saw was Devin trying to get up to get to me before I was blindfolded. I felt myself being handcuffed and gagged. Then I was knocked out. The last thing I heard was Devin screaming my name and commands to throw me onto the ship. Yolaris.. Has to be her...