Chapter 24: Devin

I waited in complete silence under the deck of the ship just listening to Jasmine and Patrick speak with Alexander. As I listened, I held the headphone set Tara bought before she was taken. I looked at them in my hands just lightly feeling the foam covering. "Tara..." I started to tear up again thinking about her. Why? Why must you remove everything good from my life? You took my dad, my sister, and now the only friend I've managed to make... Just how far do you intend to go before you're satisfied? Do you want to see me cry? Do you want me to beg? What do you want? What? What?? I was going to let myself break down before they came down. I watched them come in the room and looked up at Jasmine. "What's gonna happen? Are we gonna go after them?" I looked at her, my eyes glistening with welling tears and pleading for her to say yes. She sighed glancing away, her hand awkwardly rubbing the back of her neck. She finally spoke. I choked back a sob of relief.
"Patrick says until we have enough supplies and a plan, we're staying here." My relief very quickly turned to shock, hearing her response. I then looked over at Patrick and my eyes widened slightly as I saw his expression, twisted up with worry and regret.
"Patrick..?" I said, trying to keep my voice from breaking. "You're really gonna stay here while Tara is in danger? Yolaris has her." He spoke to me quietly.
"Dev I know. I know she's in danger. But she's a smart kid. She can handle herself. We agreed to protect you until you got to Icamus. We needed to get more supplies anyway."
I stayed silent. More like there was nothing I could say to that. "You're.. joking... You have to be joking with me." I stood, a sudden burst of anger exploding. "Don't you understand? We can't get to Icamus with only one of us. You agreed to protect both me AND Tara. We can't just wait here while Yolaris- that BITCH has her."
"Devin..-" Jasmine tries to interrupt.
"No Jasmine you don't know how important this is to me. She's never taken anything from you like she has from me. I know every single person on this ship. Not ONE of you has a story of that witch stealing from you. Taking the things that matter most to you. Destroying everything you've ever held dear to you. NONE of you. She took my father, she took my sister, and now she's managed to take the only person who's ever mattered more to me than both of those combined.." I let out a small whimper and clenched my fists, tears flowing down my hot cheeks. The room was silent now. Then all at once, everything went dark...