Chapter 34: Duelling Friends

Jaden and Sheppard's duel began. 

"I draw!" declared Jaden, taking the starting move. "And I set a monster in Defense mode, then I'll place a card face down. I end my turn!" 

"Predictable move, Jaden," said Sheppard bluntly, "my turn! And I Special Summon Cyber Ogress from my hand in Attack mode!" 

The Ogress appeared with 1800 Attack points. 

"But that thing is a Level 5 monster!" protested Syrus. 

"When I have no monsters while my opponent does, this card can be Special Summoned without a Tribute," explained Sheppard, "I attack your Defense!" 

The attack was carried out but the shot was blasted back, knocking the Ogress off balance. 

"My monster was Elemental Hero Clayman!" said Jaden. "With his 2000 Defense points outmatching your Ogress' 1800 Attack points, you'll lose 200 points!" 

"I don't think so," snarled Sheppard, "I activate one of two abilities of my Ogress!" 

"What?" 

"When she attacks a defending monster and I would take damage, YOU take the damage instead!" 

"Not good!" groaned Jaden, as his Life Points dropped to 3800. 

"I end my turn," said Sheppard. 

Jaden recovered and drew his card. Yubel, Ruby and Winged Kuriboh appeared by Jaden's side. 

"Sheppard is one of your tougher foes to date, Jaden," warned Yubel, "he is the Chancellor of this institution after all. Worthy of running it, according to Kaiba himself. You need to be careful!" 

"I will, Yubel, I will," replied Jaden before making his move. "I activate Polymerization! I fuse my Clayman and the Elemental Hero Bubbleman in my hand to Fusion Summon Elemental Hero Mudballman!" 

Mudballman splodged into play with 1900 Attack Points. 

"Why would you summon that in Attack mode?" asked Sheppard. 

"Because I still haven't conducted a Normal Summon. So come on out, Neo-Spacian Grand Mole!" 

Grand Mole drilled up onto the field with 900 Attack Points. 

"I attack Cyber Ogress with Grand Mole!" declared Jaden. "And before damage calculation, when Grand Mole attacks a monster, both that monster and himself return to our hands!" 

Cyber Ogress and Grand Mole attacked and retreated to each players' hands. 

"Now the field is clear for Mudballman to land a direct attack!" shouted Jaden. 

The attack connected head on and Sheppard's Life Points dropped to 2100. 

"Smart move, Jaden," said Yubel calmly. 

"Thanks," grinned Jaden. 

"But he's still in a position to summon that Ogress again with its special ability...and he said one of two effects...I have a feeling he has a bigger plan for next turn." 

"We'll soon find out," said Jaden. "I set one card face down and end my turn!" 

"I draw," said Sheppard, "and first I will use Mystical Space Typhoon to destroy that face down of yours!" 

Jaden's Hero Signal was destroyed. 

"Great!" he muttered sarcastically. 

"Next, I use Ogress' ability to Special Summon onto the field in Attack mode!"