Chapter 12:

A week has passed since I told the gang about the rumors. The rumors have slowed down, but they're still there. 

I was still being used by my friends. I've gotten to the point where it just becomes numb and I'm used to it.

I was walking down the hallway after school ended when I ran into someone who I've never really talked to before. He was the most popular kid in school, but I never saw him around.

I didn't fall just stumbled a few paces backwards. He quickly stabled me with his firm hands to help me balance. 

"Sorry. I didn't see you there" I say looking down at the floor. "It's ok. I wasn't looking where I was going either." His voice came off sweet. Something that I wasn't used to in this school. I looked him in the eyes curiously.

"I'm Bob. Bob Sheldon" he says sticking out a hand. His smile looked a little off like he's seen some dark shit, but he was trying to make it genuine. "Gracie. Gracie Striker" I say accepting his hand.

"Your new here right?" he asked letting go of each others hands "yeah. I just moved here two weeks ago." I answer. He chuckles, "what?" I ask looking around to see what he might be chuckling at "right your the girl who fell in the cafeteria on her first day" he says with a smile that now looked complete.

I blushed and looked back down at the floor My face becoming hot. "Wasn't a good day" I say with a smile trying to hide my blush. "I would say" he says putting his hands in his pants pockets.

"I don't really see you around much" I say looking up from the ground once I have controlled my blush "yeah I've been pretty busy. We're moving houses and packing takes a long time" he says.

I nod my head in an understanding manor "I see" I reply. A piece of hair fell to my face. I quickly shove it behind me ear. He looks down for a moment then looks back up "do you maybe want to go for lunch tomorrow?" he asks kindly. 

I smile grew on my face. Someone actually wanted to take me out for lunch. Someone actually wanted to talk to me. I couldn't help but smile big "yeah. Sure that sounds great" I say shifting my weight to my left side.

He smiled back "great. I'll meet you in here at 12:00?" he asks "yeah sounds good" I say with a smile. He returns me a smile back "I'll see you tomorrow" he says walking away "see ya" I reply.

I take a deep breath. I am actually going out for lunch with a guy. Someone who doesn't care about the rumors someone who doesn't want to use me, but someone who just wants to talk to me.

The walk to the Curtis house was practically a skip. I was so happy. When I opened the door I saw the entire gang inside. Darry was reading a newspaper because he didn't work today, Pony and Johnny were reading a book on the ground, Steve and Soda were playing cards, Two-bit was sitting on the couch with Dally drinking beer.

I sat down in the space beside Two and Dally. The whole gang looked at me questionably. I look at them back "what?" I ask confused.

"What's up with that huge smile on your face?" Soda asked "yeah. You seem really happy. Normally you never sit by Dally" Two chimes in. 

"I just got a date that's all" I say trying to brush off the conversation. Dally nearly spit out his beer "a what?" he asked harshly "a date..." I reply looking at him confused.

"Yeah with who?" he responds harshly "what does it matter to you. You jealous?" I ask smugly as I playfully nudge my shoulder against his.

"I'm not jealous" he says coldly taking a sip of his beer. "Come on Gracie who is it?" Johnny says looking up from the book. "His names Bob" I say looking down at my hands already growing a smile and a blush.

Dally nearly spit out his beer for a second time and Johnny's face went scared and cold "Sheldon?" Soda asked dropping his cards on the table and turning to look directly at me.

"Yeah. You know him?" I ask confused "do we know him? The man's a no good drunk" Dally says looking at me weirdly.

All eyes were on me. Even Darry looked up from his paper.

"Look who's talking" I say while rolling my eyes. "He's the soc that beat Johnny up real bad" Dally says getting angry.  "Oh" I say sadly. I never knew Bob was the soc who had beaten up Johnny.

"I didn't know" I saw playing with my hands "but I'm still gonna go out with him. If I get to know him maybe he won't hurt Johnny anymore." I say looking up from the ground.

I look around to see everyone disappointed "Gracie all he want's to do is get in your pants" Dally says looking at me sternly. "So?" I say confused. Soda puts his face in his hands and everyone else just looks down at the ground. 

"Gracie that's not like you" Soda says sadly. He was right. I knew it wasn't like me. I just want someone to like me. I just want someone.

I was left speechless when the gang went outside. Dally stayed on the couch. I could tell that when the gang left he was going to talk to me and I wasn't ready for it.

Soon enough the gang was outside and Dally and I were left alone on the couch.

He took a sip of his beer and then set it aside. He leaned forward and placed his hands on his head while his elbows were on his thighs.

"Why do you even want to go out with Bob?" he asked after a while. I sighed and leaned back into the couch. "I don't know." I lie partly.

Dally looked up from his hands and into my eyes. His eyes weren't harsh or cold like they normally are, but confused and concerned.

I took a deep breath " I don't get it. All I ever am is nice to people and they treat me like shit in return. It's like when they stop talking to you they start talking about you. They'll follow you through the good times and leave you in the bad. When Bob asked me out I said yes because I never thought anybody else would. I just wanted to be good enough for someone." I say trying not to let tears fall.

I could tell Dally was stuck on what to say or do. I knew he wouldn't do anything to comfort me. Dally doesn't show his soft side. He keeps it hidden away deep inside of him and it only partly shows for Johnny.

I was expecting him to yell at me for being stupid, but I was surprised when he started to speak in a soft voice. It wasn't hard and cold like his normal tone, but it wasn't kind and warm either.

"Gracie... You have us. Don't worry about those other people who push you around like dirt." I was looking at him curiously. We made eye contact for a few seconds before he looked back down at the ground. He took a big breath before saying, "your smart, caring, selfless, funny, fun... beautiful... don't let anyone tell you different." and with that he got up from the couch and walked out of the house.

I was shocked. Dallas Winston just said something nice. Yet he didn't want it to seem nice. Dallas Winston is one mysterious human being.