Chapter 8

"Thank you," I say to the driver as we get out of the car.

The driver nods and then pulls out of the driveway. 

I head to the front door, my sister sniffling behind me, and the boys behind her. I unlock the door and walk in, not hearing anything except for my nephew crying.

Why isn't Esperanza taking care of her baby? I think to myself.

"Mercedes stay down here with Jason. Ashe, Azrael, come with me," I say.

I follow the sound of my nephew crying, to find him alone in his crib with a note next to him.

Perdóname. No podría vivir sin él, y no muero en Santo Domingo. Cuidar de nuestro bebe.
              -Esperanza

"Look for Esperanza's body, now!" I yell at the boys, taking my nephew into my arms.

The boys quickly take off trying to find Esperanza's body.

"Ky, we found her!" one of the boys yells from the bathroom.

I walk into the bathroom, trying to get the baby to stop crying. I see Esperanza sitting in a red bathtub, cuts all along her wrists. I close my eyes and take a deep breath before kissing my nephew on the forehead.

"Come on guys," I said lowly. "Let's go."

As we go downstairs, I hear a phone ringing. I make my way back to my brothers room and see it's Esperanza's phone.

"Hello, is this Mrs. Nightingale?" The voice asks as soon as I pick up the phone.

"Yes," I respond.

"I'm sorry to say this but, Mr. Nightingale did not make it."

I take in a sharp breath and hold my nephew closer to me.

"Was it peaceful?" I whisper.

"Yes, he left peacefully in a comatose state."

"Thank you," I say before hanging up.

I take control of emotions before going downstairs.

"Boys," I call. "Come here please."

When they all come over I start talking.

"My brother died. Our next guardian is in Texas. Do you have anywhere that you can take me and Mercedes?"

"Yes," Ashe says. "There's a house where some of the people with wings live. You can be free there."

"Do you want to come?" Azrael asks.

I nod. "I can bring my sister and nephew though, right?"

The boys nod and I nod in return.

"Figure our how we can get there while I tell my sister what happened," I said, walking away. I stop before turning around. "Please," I add.

The boys nod once again, and I walk over to Mercedes.

"Sebastián died, and Esperanza killed herself," I say plainly.

Mercedes breaks down again and I hug her to me.

"There is a safe place that the three of us can go, but you need to learn that you can't say anything to anyone," I tell her. "Do you understand?"

Mercedes nods and we walk over to where the boys are.

"The ride is on their way," Azrael says.

I nod and sit on the couch, holding the baby close to me and closing my eyes.