So Far Away

2013

"Jimmy, c'mon! You need to see this!"

I got up from the bed and left my room, walking into the living room where Dimebag sat in front of the TV. I could recognize these guitars from everywhere.

I sat by him and felt my eyes prick with tears. There on the screen were my brothers.

Brian's fingers danced gracefully over the neck of his schecter, Zacky rocked the rhythm, Johnny's bass sounded clean, Matt's vocals were on point and that kid Arin did a really good job on the drums.

After a while the song ended and the crowd went wild. Matt ran his fingers  through his hair and smiled, "Now, thank you guys so much. Every once and a while you might hear some vocals coming through the speakers and you most likely know who that is. That's our best friend and late drummer, The Rev. We've known him since we were in second grade, doing stupid shit and having fun. In all of our concerts we play a curtain song that our guitarist, Synyster wrote. If you know the lyrics, please, sing along."

The crowd cheered and the guys started the song. Dime turned to me and smiled, "Have you listened to the song?"

I shook my head as I hushed him, staring at the screen.

" Never feared for anything, never chained but never free. A light that healed the broken heart, with all that it could... Lived a life so endlessly, saw beyond what others see. I tried to heal your broken heart... With all that I could... Will you stay?Will you stay away forever?"

I felt a tear run down my cheek as I leaned closer to the TV, watching carefully.

"How do I live without the ones I love?Time still turns the pages of the book it's burned... Place and time always on my mind, I have so much to say but you're so far away... "

" Plans of what our futures hold, Foolish lies of growing old...It seems we're so invincible,The truth is so cold...A final song, a last request... A perfect chapter laid at rest. Now and then I try to find, A place in my mind... Where you can stay, You can stay awake forever... "

The chorus repeated again and that's when I noticed it. Brian continued to sing and play in the most magnificent way, but his eyes were bloodshot and his cheeks were damp. Also, on the frets of his guitar was written Rev, and not the usual Syn.

" Sleep tight I'm not afraid, the ones that we love are here with me... Lay away a place for me, 'Cause as soon as I'm done I'll be on my way... To live eternally! "

The solo hit off and Matt turned his back to the crowd, wiping his eyes. Zacky's eyes were covered by sunglasses, but by his body language I knew he was most likely shedding tears as well.

After the solo, the chorus repeated again and then the lights turned off. On the big screen behind the drumset pictures of me and the guys started flashing. Brian played the most beautiful melody I've ever heard, making me choke back a sob.

Soon enough the song came back to life and the whole stage exploded. The crowd sang along with Matt, lighters and cellphones were in the sky.

"I love you, you were ready, the pain is strong and urges rise! But I'll see you when He let's me, Your pain is gone, your hands untied! So far away, And I need you to know... So far away, And I need you to, need you to know... "

I quickly wiped my eyes and got up. Taking my keys out of my pocket and running into the basement, in just two minutes I made it to Matt's house. I had to see Val and River.

The time was one in the morning, meaning Val was sound asleep and River was alone in his crib.

I walked into his bedroom and smiled at the baby that was wide awake. It smiled at me but frowned when he saw my wet face, making grabby hands at me.

I reached over and took him in my arms, cradling him to my chest, "Hey baby... What's up buddy?"

The baby put his tiny hand on my cheek, wiping away my tears, which made me cry even harder. I leaned and kissed his forehead, closing my eyes.

When I pulled back I started rocking him as I sung one of the songs I knew he loved so much, "And lately he's been shaking all night, and I wonder how he could have let you die... Hold on strong and behold from the life you leave behind, this could be catastrophic mind pollution... What you had was real to me, ooh yeah..."

River was sound asleep against my chest, snoring softly and cooing in his sleep. I chuckled as I gently lowered him back in his crib, then put his blanket to under his chin.

I stood there smiling at him until I saw the light turning on in the hallway. I didn't have enough time to get away, so I just turned invisible.

The door opened and Val walked inside. I moved so I was in the corner of the room, watching her. She was on the phone, still sleepy.

"Yeah, he's sound asleep. I'm sure he misses his daddy... Yeah, I miss you too. I wish I could be with you... One more week, baby... I love you too. Goodnight. "

Val hung up and sighed. She slowly made her way to the bay window and sat down. She sighed as she shook her head, looking at the baby with a sad smile on her face.

I could hear her thoughts. She was worried about her brothers, her husband. I was too.

I turned around and left, walking out of the house. I smiled as I looked back at the house where I spent most of my time.

Just a few more years... We will push through this.