Retrovertigo

2019

"James! Wake up! Wake the fuck up! C'mon !"

I sighed as I sat up in bed, leaning my back against the headboard. Darrell scoffed as he crossed his arms over his chest,"I thought you'd be more excited. "

I attempted to raise an eyebrow, looking like I was having a seizure,"Why am I supposed to be excited?!"

Darrell groaned and looked over his shoulder, screaming, "Vincent! Bring over the fucking calendar!"

The chubby drummer walked in, wearing hawaii shorts, otherwise he was shirtless. In one hand he had a bottle of Jack and in the other was a calendar. He took a swig, shoved the calendar in Dimebag's arms and then left.

Darrell flipped through the calendar, then showed me the page.

That's when it clicked... Eight more months and I'll see the guys.

I jumped out of the bed and hugged him. Dime laughed as he hugged me back. After a short moment of affection, we pulled back and he cringed, "Okay, that's gay, stop it. Jesus Christ, ugh. Anyway, the last supper will be tonight. Don't forget to dress more, y'know, appropriately. Tomorrow, my dude, you will be able to start giving your friends signs. Eventually, they will figure out you're, well, not exactly alive but something like that. Anyway, soon enough you'll get to spend some time with your loved ones. Now, James, get ready."

-

Brian sighed as he ran a hand through his hair. He grabbed his glass of scotch from the table and brought it to his lips, taking a sip. The tenth anniversary was getting near... Some days were better, some days were worse... And it was definitely one of the bad days...

He didn't hear the bell, nor did he hear the guys walk in. And, of course, he couldn't feel the tears that left his eyes.

"Brian?"

He jumped, almost dropping his beverage in the process. He quickly snifffled, wiping his eyes before he got up from the couch, a fake smile was plastered on his face,"Hi guys, what's up? I-I didn't see you there. You settle down, make yourself comfortable and I'll go make drinks-"

"Brian!"

Matt looked deep into his friend's eyes. He could see the pain in them, he could feel his soul was breaking. He sighed and turned to face Zacky and Johnny, "I'll go help him." Matt looked down at his boys with a smile, ruffling their hairs, "You monkeys stay with uncle Zack and uncle Johnny. Uncle Brooks and the others should be here soon."

The little kids nodded their heads and left with their uncles, going out to the backyard. When he was sure they were alone, Matt grabbed the slightly older guitarist by the hand, and dragged him off to the kitchen.

Brian was pushed down on a chair. He sighed as he leant over and propped his elbows on the table, letting his hands cover his face. He let a long breath out, and took a deep breath in.

He looked up when he felt something nudge him. He saw the hand of his best friend holding a glass of water and he took it gratefully. After taking a few sips, Bri was able to calm down a bit.

Matt sighed as he sat down across from his friend, a frown was on his face. He took a deep breath, crossing his arms over his chest, "What's wrong with you?"

Brian sighed as he ran his hands over his face, before answering in a low voice, "Michelle is pregnant... again. She's still in the early months."

Matt was speechless, to say the least. A wide smile broke on his face and he laughed with joy, "That's amazing, man! Congratulations!"

The slightly older man sighed, shaking his head, "You don't understand Matt... We were supposed to start working on a new album later on this year. We were going to head back on the road next year. Now-"

"Hey, hey, hey... stop it now. " The singer leaned closer, propping his elbows on the table,"Is that all you're concerned about?"

After a pause, Brian shook his head, "No... Jimmy... He's going to miss yet another pregnancy. Another child will grow up without its uncle, y'know? And it's killing me."

Matt sighed, a sad smile on his face, "Y'know... They're not as alone as you think... There's something I was keeping from you, but now that you said, I wanted to know if you have anything to do with this... A few months ago, Val and I went grocery shopping and we left the kids alone. They were watching a concert and were were gone for twenty minutes tops. Anyways, when we came back, River and Cash were listening to Mcfly... And we never hold them anything about Pinkly Smooth."

The color drained from the brown eyed man's face. He was grateful he was sitting because he felt like he was going to faint. He shook his head, his lips were trembling with fear,"Do you think it could be... How did they know about the band?!"

Matt could see the panic in his friend's eyes, that's why he reached out and took Brian's hand, "Hey, stop it. River is old enough to work around in the internet. He could have, y'know, searched some of our songs up and he could've seen the song in the recommended. It's not that big of a deal, don't worry about it. I just thought I should tell you."

He got up, taking Brian with him. He took Brian's face in his hands, slapping his cheeks gently, "Now, man up. That's not the Synyster Gates I know. C'mon, Val, Brooks, Kelly, Michelle, Meaghan and Lacey should be here soon."

Before going out of the room, Brian wrapped his friend in a hug, "I... If it wasn't for you, I'd break down a long, long time ago."

Matt smiled as he slapped Bri's back,"Hey. It's okay man. That's my job. "

With that the two men shared another smile and went outside, joining the others.

However when they got out, Zacky was panicking. Matt quickly made his way to his friend, Brian in tow,"Zack, what's going on?"

Zacky suddenly broke into a smile, his eyes wide and full with excitement, "Meaghan's waters broke!"