Darkness Surrounding

2013

I was sound asleep when Darrell ran into my room, waking me up, "Jimmy, we have a problem!"

I got out of the bed and he dragged me to the living room, making me sit on the couch in front of the TV. What I saw on the screen made my heart break in pieces.

Brian laid on his bed, curled into a ball as he literally screamed in pain. Tears ran down his face as he clenched his teeth, holding his sides. Michelle was on the phone and by what I heard it was most likely nine-one-one.

I quickly grabbed my jacket from the back of the couch and grabbed my keys, turning to Dime, "Will you come with me?"

He shrugged as he got up, not even bothering to put a shirt on,"Yeah, sure."

We quickly ran into the basement and through my door. It was a ten minute walk to the hospital, I prayed and prayed that he was going to be alright.

We stumbled into the waiting room to see Matt and Val already there. Mich had tears running down her face as Val rubbed her back. Matt was on the phone and by the tone I assumed it was one of the guys. His voice was thick with emotion and he tried his hardest to keep his cool, however I didn't blame him, he knew Brian since seventh grade. They were like brothers.

I looked at Dime and nodded, "You stay with them. I'll go to the operational."

He nodded, then walked over to a chair next to Matt and slumped down. I ran down the hall to the operational, passing through the doors.

Brian was laying on his back, an oxygen mask pulled over his mouth and as the bottom of his stomach was cut open.

cracked appendix

I shook my head as I walked over to the doctor. Sweat was running down his face, worry in his bright blue eyes. He kinda reminded me of myself, actually. He was tall, lanky, with thin lips, freckles, ginger hair and bright blue eyes. I knew he had a good heart and he was going to do everything in his power to help Brian.

I felt a shock wave go through me. This can't be happening. His section was activated.

I quickly ran back to the waiting room, alarming Darrell. He shot out of his seat when he saw my pained eyes, "James, what's going on?"

I shook my head and pulled at my hair,"We need to talk to Cliff, fast!"

With a snap of his fingers, Dime had us back to the hotel. We reached the main floor where Cliff's quarters were.

When we stormed in his office, he was already trying to fight the system. There was a map of the town and it showed that Brian's sector was actually being activated, causing intense earthquakes to shake the ground.

I looked at him as I gritted my teeth, "What are you doing?!"

Cliff looked at me, his hair falling over his shoulder, "Seems like the reaper wants him now. But I won't let that happen."

Darrell's hands turned into fists as he looked at the screen, "You better don't. He just turned thirty-two, for fuck's sake!"

After some intense minutes, Cliff sighed, "The reaper want a soul for soul."

I groaned, pinching the bridge of my nose. Unexpectedly, Darrell spoke up, "Take my father. He already has cancer."

My eyes widened as I shook my head, "Darrell, I won't let you do that-"

His blue eyes shot daggers into me as he spoke through his teeth, "Just this once, listen to what I tell you. He's really sick and has a month or so ahead of him. He's already dying, we might as well safe a life in the process."