Chapter 14--Soul & Maka

Maka's Point of View

----------

She's awake! my heart squeals happily. Well, she is at first, until she remembers that she's going to be worse than before. We aren't happy.

Please, yes you are, my brain responds. He loves you, and it only took me a day to realize it. I came back early.

How? I interject, just as confused as everyone else apparently.

I'm not entirely sure, my brain explains. It just kind of happened, just in time, too.

It takes me a minute to realize what she's talking about, I was just about to break up with Soul. But he lied to me...

"Maka?" Soul's almost unbearably small voice, brings me out of my thoughts. I had been gnawing on my cheek and now I taste blood, my blank eyes meet his. "What are you saying, Maka?"

"Nothing," I say as I laugh nervously, "Nothing at all."

"You were about to break up with me, weren't you?" He asks, his voice getting smaller somehow.

"No, silly, where would you get an idea like that?" I start biting my cheek again, the blood is thick with iron.

"You just said I don't love you," the tears threaten his voice, as he pries my cheek from my teeth.

"Soul, you lied to me..." I finally face the awkwardness of the conversation, "How can you lie to someone you love?"

"I was trying to protect you," he tries to explain, impossibly with his hands.

"Protect me from what?" I say, sounding hurt and exasperated rolled into one strangled emotion.

He doesn't speak right away, when he does, his voice is strained and his eyes are tense: "Me..."

My eyes snap up to his, confusion coloring my bland face. "What do you mean?"

"The black blood," his voice cracks, "It scares me."

The reminder of his lie hurts, but I know losing him would hurt more, for longer. I smile tenderly at him, "I'm sure we can figure this out."

His face is colored with uncertainty, the fact that I just had on royal mood swing probably doesn't help. "What if it doesn't go away?"

"SoulEater Evans," I say, taking his face in my hands. "You're a good person, you will always be a good person. No matter how much black blood tries to consume you. I've seen your soul, remember?"

Despite himself, he smiles, "And I've seen yours."

"Your soul belongs to me," I whisper, touching my forehead to his. "I love you."

"I love you, too," he says back, his soul-eating grin on his face.

"You're an idiot," I say, lovingly.

"I know, but I'm your idiot." He leans in and kisses me

Right then, my head starts talking, Why was I ever skeptical of this? It's wonderful.

Took you long enough, my heart sings.