Chapter 20--Soul & Maka

Maka's Point of View

----------

My eyes flutter open, and I feel different, better than I did when I went to sleep, yeah. But weird. I look at Soul, who is holding my hand and I feel nothing for the boy I used to love. I want to kill something, I grin at the thought.

Then he notices I'm awake, "Maka!"

Stein is standing in the corner, looking at lab results, he's surprised to see me awake. "Maka, how did you break the sleep?" He jumps in his chair and pushes himself over, looking at me with such curiosity, I look away, uncomfortable.

"I don't know," I reply to his question, my voice flat and unmoving.

Soul kisses my cheek and I resist the urge to hit him in the face, what is wrong with you? My brain and my heart shriek at me. But the feeling is still there, I feel like a better person now, peaceful even.

Both of the men are staring at me, as if waiting for me to say something profound. I hate them...

"Let's go train," I say to Soul.

He looks at me puzzled, "Are you sure you're ready?"

"I was born ready," my face morphs into a dark grin.

He shifts uncomfortably, "Maka, I don't think you're ready for this."

"We're going," I snap, "Now."

I jump to my feet and walk quickly to the training room, the mirror is still broken. I use just a shard to call Death. "We're ready," is all I say.

With that I gently put the shard on the floor and take Soul's handle in my hands, it doesn't feel right. He isn't happy to be here, but I don't care.

Death gives us the Witch Calypso, hoping we're strong enough.

"Ready, Soul?" I ask, as pleasant as I can manage.

"Fine, Maka," he grumbles, but he opens his soul to the resonance.

"Soul Resonance!" I call, thrusting mine against his, but it doesn't work. Soul's slammed shut when mine reached his, "What the hell, Soul?"

"Your soul doesn't feel right," he says. "I can't resonate with it." He transforms back into his human form and walks out of the room, "What happened to you while you were sleeping?"

"Nothing!" I say rushing after him.

"Don't lie, Maka," he says. "You're different, you have to know it too."

We agree, my brain and heart say in unison. What the hell?

"Whatever, Soul," I say. "I'm not different, I can't believe you would say that." I cover my eyes as if I'm crying, when he reaches out to me I lash out. "Leave me alone!"

"Maka," he sounds so hurt, it's delicious. "Please don't cry," he wraps his arms around me and I hate the feeling. But as I reluctantly nuzzle into the embrace, a grin breaks across my face. His soul will soon be mine...