fourteen - show you my heart

song - If I Could Fly by One Direction 

~"I think I might give up everything, just ask me to
Pay attention, I hope that you listen 'cause I let my guard down
Right now I'm completely defenseless"~

The sky was lit up with hope, the sun beaming down on him as if cheering him on. It had always intrigued him, how the colors of the sky changed throughout the day. It was why he watched the sunset every night, eyes peering out of his window until the last moment that the sun fell behind the hillside, darkening the world around him once again. Perhaps the sun in the sky symbolized the joy in the world, how it was always there shining down on everyone when they needed it. But even the sun needed to disappear every single night behind the hills, maybe proving that the darkness would always somehow win. But standing outside in the early hours of morning, he wondered if the sunrise could symbolize something just as beautiful. That perhaps the sun simple needed to rest, always reappearing when needed as if to convey the beauty in the world around it. It was a pretty morning with a hazy blue sky, small clouds rolling into different patterns and shapes, and Finn breathed in the peaceful atmosphere. There were so many colors for him to see, but they were soft as if still allowing him a moment to breathe. But as soon as he saw her standing outside waiting for him, everything else faded away. 

Suddenly the spontaneous nature of the clouds did not intrigue him, simply falling flat as if they could drop down from the sky without anything changing. The light of the sun was nothing compared to the inner glow that glossed itself over her curls, the strands dipped in their own strange kind of magic. The colors of the sunrise were nothing compared to the smoothness of her cheekbones, of the flutter of her unfocused eyes as she stood there. Nothing compared to her, because she was iridescent. 

"Hi" she mumbled, tucking a piece of hair behind her ear. 

Finn couldn't stop himself from smiling. "Hi."

"You going to tell me where we are going?" she raised an eyebrow. 

He could barely think. "Hi."

"Finn."

"Uh-sorry..." he shook his head, turning slightly red in a way that he was glad she couldn't see, "Yeah, l-let's uh, go now. I just wanted some ice cream."

Millie tried not to smile. "Ice cream sounds perfect."

They started walking, her hand slipping against his arm in a way that made them both shiver. For once, the silence was almost comfortable, a pleasant change to the air filled with hostile words and harsh stares. She couldn't stop herself from thinking over everything that had happened between them and how they never really got a chance to talk. They were all or nothing, either scoffing at each other and disagreeing on almost everything, or they were holding onto each other tightly as they never needed anything else. Millie couldn't believe that after her harsh words, he had stayed to read to her and still handled her with such care. He treated her like she was cracked glass for him to take care of, but unlike her parents and teachers, it didn't seem to bother her as much anymore. The thought made her cheeks heat up and she tried to bend her neck, hiding her face just in case he was somehow watching her. 

"It's just here..." Finn nudged her gently. "The ice cream shop."

Millie was quiet for a moment, tilting her head as if trying to remember the last time that she went to an ice cream shop. They were usually filled with young children or smitten couples that shared ice cream, both types something that she wasn't familiar with. She wasn't sure, so she nudged Finn in return and spoke gently. 

"Describe it to me?"

His breath caught in his throat with how she was looking up in his direction, eyes wide and full of hope. Her voice was soft for once, laced with politeness as if she was requesting instead of demanding. She was looking at him as if she depended on him to describe everything, to draw the world around her so that she could take back the control that she had lost.