sixteen - two broken souls

song - Atlas : Two by Sleeping At Last 

~"Tell me where it hurts
I just want to build you up, build you up
'Til you're good as new
And maybe one day, I'll get around
To fixing myself, too"~

If he could, he would create a new color palette for her. Instead of including block colors and well-known shades of blue, red, purple - he would use every little piece of her soul, everything that drew him to her. He would cast away the darker colors of when she pushed him away and the small shake in her voice when she tried to convince everyone that she was anything other than breaking inside. Despite every single part of her being beautiful, even the darker pieces of her soul, he wanted to show her that she could be so much more if she let herself feel something close to happiness. He would fashion the brighter colors out of her smile, the sound of her laugh when he swiped bright pink paint into her hair, and the way that she skipped slightly when she was excited as if walking was too boring. The palette would be filled with every part of her, the good and the bad so that one day she could hopefully see how she affected him. He would explain to her how the world could be such a magnificent place, such beauty and so many colors bursting into the atmosphere, but that it meant nothing without her. Without her, he could have all of the colors and light in the world, but still feel nothing but darkness surrounding him. 

Over the past few days since the art classroom, she had been lighter as if walking on air. It was almost as if the weight had been lifted off her soul slightly, and that despite not gaining anything, she somehow felt happier. Finn couldn't stop staring at her when she laughed, her mouth opened widely to show her slightly wonky sharp teeth, the sound sending tingles down his spine right into the center of his heart. Even though it hurt him every single time that she called them 'friends', he knew that he had to be grateful for what she had given him. Although he knew that whatever was building between them was different, much more than 'friends', he had to remember that something was better than nothing. 

"There is no way in hell that-"

She giggled. "I swear, next time I am painting you in baby pink-"

"You are not going to paint me with anything-"

Millie groaned under her breath and playfully tugged on the sleeve of the light pink polo-shirt that he was wearing with cream buttons and collar. It contrasted greatly with his pale skin and dark hair and when he first described it to her, her eyes instantly lit up as she tried to imagine him wearing something of that color. "But then you it would match your adorable shirt!"

"Adorable?" he teased. 

She slapped his arm, "Shut up, it sounds great. I don't know why you always seem to wear such dark clothing! Your Mom always tells me that you're so boring!"

"Hey, Finn. I was looking for you."

They both paused for a moment, Finn turning his head to see a familiar figure looking at him with an easy smile. Sadie pushed her rounded glasses further up her nose, her eyes flickering between the two of them as if she was studying something in class. Finn always saw her paying attention in class, her eyebrows furrowing as she tried to work out the topic that they were working on, and she had that same look on her face. Millie tensed up slightly between him at the sound of her voice and he immediately shuffled slightly closer as if to reassure her. He wasn't sure what her stiffness was about whenever Sadie was around, but he talked himself out of the small flicker of hope that appeared. 

"Uh, we were-"

Millie cut him off. "It's okay, I am going to the bathroom anyway."

"Are you sure?" he frowned.