28: The Victorian Lady

Dayu watched from the other side of the one way look, interrogation room window; as Qing interrogated the lady

It was the suspect that they had missed yesterday, when they came to her house. Yesterday, she managed to escape just before Qing and Dayu's team arrived.

They didn't expect that she would be apprehended today though; thinking that she night have left Beijing, taking a hitch or driving on her own.

They still didn't have enough evidence to request for road blocks on the road, to search for her. After all, she was only seen on the scene of the crime. There's no physical evidence that linked her directly to any of the crime yet; hence obtaining an arrest warrant and putting her on wanted list wasn't possible.

When Qing and Dayu and the tracker duo, Lea and Amerie with her brother Alain, went back to the house; immediately, they could sense that something was not quiet right. Something was different than the day before when they first came.

*********

"Qing...!" Dayu called out to Qing when he realised that he had found a secret passage.

In the hallway, leading to the bedroom from the living room, Dayu noticed something. One of the three paintings on the wall, had moved a few centimetres from where it was the night before. Something or someone had moved it.

Dayu felt the wall and began knocking around the pictures. He heard the two different sounds as he did so; it showed the difference in the density of the wall.

That's when he called Qing, who was the closest to him.

"What is it?" Qing asked.

"Listen .." Dayu knocked on the wall and immediately Qing knew that there's a void behind the wall on that particular area.

He looked at Dayu as Dayu pointed at the painting in the middle, "it moved.."

To the everyone else's eyes, it wasn't obvious but to Dayu it was. Dayu's observation ability isn't like most people after all.

Qing didn't notice that the painting in the middle was slightly closer to the painting on its left as compared to the one on its right.

Qing switched on his walkie talkie and notified the rest of the team who were investigation the other parts of the house, "We are at the hallway leading to the main bedroom..Dayu noticed a secret passage behind one  of the paintings ..We're going in..."

"Copy that, sir.." Alain , who were with his sister and Lea, investigating the first floor of the big Victorian-styled house, responded.

Qing gave Dayu the walkie talkie and then took out his gun, and nodded at Dayu to take a ready position.

He nudged the painting into place, and suddenly that particular part of the wall, began moving backwards, exposing a small pathway, barely enough for one person to slip in to the other side.