31: Unexpected

"I never thought that there'd be someone from outside of our community who could understand the first generation Aramaic

"I never thought that there'd be someone from outside of our community who could understand the first generation Aramaic..." Katherine said, looking at Dayu, still in a little daze.

She had been frozen for almost five hours when she was being interrogated by the other investigator. But, the moment she heard someone speaking to her in the language she thought only she and her community knew, she crumbled.

"In your community..?" Dayu met Katherine's eyes.

The woman didn't look away, "Yes.." she began, "our first elders, came from Europe..They established the community here in Beijing twenty years ago..."

"What's your community called..?"

"We call ourselves Aramaic Children..." she answered.

"You're Katherine Simeon..Your mother was chinese and your father was an American businessman.." Dayu read Katherine's profile file which their team had managed to put together, "you're the heir to your parents' million dollars estate.."

She lost her parents when she was twenty, while she was studying abroad. She was the only child and thus, after her parents died, all of her family fortune became hers. They were very rich, that she didn't even have to work to earn a living. Her parents' estates paid for her living expenses and more.

"You became a member of that community while you're studying oversea.." Dayu deducted, "and when you came home, you made your house, your base, here in Beijing..."

She nodded again.

"There are a lot of people who needed to find their way in life..Not all people fancied the modern world..Some just wanted to live a quiet peaceful life.. Our community could offer them the option to live without falling victims to the corrupted modern world.."

She paused, as she took a deep breath, and Dayu waited patiently for her to continue.

"Our community isn't a bad community..The elders never taught us to hurt other people, no matter how different our views on life was.." Katherine suddenly became very emotional, "we just want to live our lives in peace..Not be flooded by the hustle and bustle of the modern world.."

"If what you said is true.." Dayu asked, softly, "then, why were you at both the crime scenes? What were you doing there..?"

She closed her mouth for a few seconds but she was still meeting Dayu's eyes, "because I had to see it for myself..I had to see it to believe.."

"That it was your people who had been committing the murders?"

Dayu saw Katherine flinching as she hesitated to give her answer but she was still not looking away, even though the guilt was clear.

"It was someone from your community right?" Dayu asked.

And she nodded, her eyes were tearing up.