40: Appearing Dots

Qing and the rest of the group, gathered around, as Dayu began rearranging everything on their information board.

Qing immediately knew that something was up, when he woke up that morning, to an empty side of the bed. Qing got up and instinctively walked out to the living room. Sure enough,  Dayu was there.

Dayu was standing up, unmoving, looking at the pieces of information on the table, which they'd left last night.

Qing walked over to him, and put his arms around Dayu gently, "Good morning babe.. " he whispered, planting a kiss on Dayu's earlobe.

"Good morning.. " Dayu replied, in a small voice. Qing's feeling that there's something going on, got even more stronger because he could feel Dayu's tension.

"What's wrong?" Qing finally asked.

Dayu was silent for a moment before he finally looked at Qing. And when he did, the look in Dayu's eyes were not very good.

Qing couldn't help but feel worried.

"What is it?"

"There's something wrong with this ..." Dayu pointed at the picture of the crime scene, of the last killing in Beijing.

Qing frowned, as he looked at the picture Dayu was pointing at.

"What do you mean 'wrong'?" Qing asked. It's the same crime scene photo that they had been scrutinizing for the last several days.

"Someone tampered with the crime scene.." Dayu said. His eyes never leaving the photo.

Qing's frown became even more deep, "impossible.. Are you sure?" Qing didn't mean to doubt Dayu but he knew that the crime scene had been heavily guarded since the murder discovery, and only the Beijing's police were allowed into the area since.

Qing had no reason to doubt anybody because he had investigated each and very police officers involved in the initial investigation, before his team took over the case. All of the police officers involved were the best in the crime department, with top achievement and top annual individual evaluation.

"I am sure.." Dayu's answer baffled Qing. He knew Dayu's uncanny perception, he knew that Dayu is sharper than most people he knew, including himself. But, if there crime scene had really been tampered with, then that would mean that they have a mole inside the Beijing's police department. And Qing just couldn't believe it.

"Alright.." Still, Dayu's ability isn't something Qing could argue, hence he wanted to give Dayu the benefit of the  doubt, "how can you be so sure..?"

Dayu blinked as he looked at Qing. He saw that sceptic look in Qing's eyes but he doesn't blame Qing for it.

"You've investigated all the personnels who worked on the case, right?" Dayu asked. Qing nodded.

"Yes..indeed I have.." it was in Qing's nature to investigate everyone and everything related to any case, even the officers in contact with the case at hand.

"They're clean.." Dayu wasn't questioning Qing,  he was merely stating a fact.

"Squeaky clean..." And again Qing nodded.

"What if I said that, it wasn't someone with the initial team of investigators but one of the personnels on guard during the few weeks the crime scene was closed to public.."

Qing shook his head, "then, that's even more impossible.. Not only that the personnels chosen to guard the crime scene were among the best at maintaining and securing perimeter, there were also CCTV in all four corners of the crime scene..." Everything would be caught by the CCTV, and who would take the risk to do something in such situations- unless....?