30: Lunch Date Talk

"You're surprised

"You're surprised.." Dayu muttered, as he dug into his chicken curry noodle soup, and began eating.

Qing stared at his claypot noodle, which he had apparently ordered, half dazedly, earlier.

"Surprised..?" Qing muttered back, "I was completely stupefied..!" He glanced at Dayu, who was calmly eating.

"Sorry.." Dayu looked at Qing, "I didn't mean to shock you or anything...I am actually, also a linguist.."

Qing took a deep breath and then he nodded, looking at Dayu. After what he witnessed earlier, he knew that much. Dayu knows a lot of languages, especially ancient languages.

Dayu didn't mention about it to Qing before but he knew that Dayu didn't hide the fact that he's an expert in ancient language from him, intentionally. Still, it had taken Qing completely by surprise.

"Why didn't you tell me..That you understood the language she was using last night?" Qing still had to ask though. He needed to understand what's going on.

"Actually..I wasn't really sure...If it's Aramaic.." Dayu answered, "I specialised in ancient language, and Aramaic is one of the language that I was very 'involved' in since I was little..But, the Aramaic that she had been using was different from the one I studied though. It's the first generation Aramaic..." Dayu explained, "it took me a while to piece everything together.."

Qing frowned as he looked at Dayu, "first generation?" Qing's not a linguist so of course it's something new to him. He blinked at Dayu questioningly.

"Yes..I studied ancient languages..Aramaic is one of the oldest language known..But, the Aramaic language that we studied in university is only the second generation..The first generation of the Aramaic language was considered 'lost' because there wasn't that many written form of it found.." Dayu explained patiently, "that's why..I didn't recognized it right away..."

"You didn't study it..but..You understood it?" Qing still didn't get it.

"I had come across only one written form of the first generation Aramaic, a long time ago.." he remembered it vividly though, the Book of Origin, which he saw at his father's museum, when he was in primary school. It had been more than ten years, and that's why it took him by surprise to come across somebody using that particular language.

Dayu understood the language by heart when he first saw it, in written form but; he had never actually heard someone using it verbally. Until last night.

The books inside the room where they found Katherine Simeon, were all old books written in ancient languages, some in ancient Arabic and Greek, and some in Aramaic but, they were all the second generation Aramaic. Not the first generation.

That's why, Dayu had difficulty connecting everything until finally he decided to act on his impulses. He knew that something was off. He knew that he's 'familiar' with the language Katherine Simeon was speaking in last night. But, he had difficulty in understanding some of the words.